COVID-19 takes life of ’08 alumna Gabby Hudson and unborn son

Design by Maria Montero Silva

“Amazing energy, a huge heart and a passion for education and justice”

Full of life, an infectious laugh, a mentor for new students and a tireless advocate for women and students of color, were just some of the words that came to Dean for Diversity Alane Varga’s mind when describing Gabrielle “Gabby” Hudson, who died of COVID-19 on April 25.

As a member of the Black Student Union, a supporter of the Womyn’s Resource Center, a key member of the V-Day at UC group, the recipient of the Robert Woods Student Life Award in 2008, a Resident Assistant and other involvements, Hudson made the most out of her time at UC. She also kept herself busy with a dual major in special education and general education. 

One of Varga’s clearest memories of Hudson was advocating to take a van and a group of students to V-Day’s tenth event in New Orleans in 2008. Even though Varga could not attend, Hudson worked together with the V-Day at UC group to make it happen, and it did in large part due to her drive and determination to connect the larger V-Day movement. 

Varga said Hudson stayed connected with everyone involved and all the details needed to make it happen, and was key in getting everyone down there and back safely.

“We stayed in touch for a little while after she graduated; one of the high points in her life was her marriage and the birth of her daughter, and she was eagerly anticipating the birth of her son who passed away with her,” Varga said. “Her friends and family knew her as a loving wife and mother, a terrific friend who told great jokes and had a wonderful sense of humor, and a much loved teacher and coach who was pursuing her doctorate.”

Hudson’s mother Beverly Woods said that she loved attending UC and also did her student teaching in Utica public schools.

“She crammed life and living into every moment of everyday,” Woods said. “She was also a girl’s softball coach and a modeling and acting agent.”

Woods added that she and her family appreciate everyone’s prayers, support and love through this difficult time. 

Neva Becerril, ‘07 met Hudson while attending UC and the two were also RA’s. Becerril said that Hudson did whatever she could to help BSU have many events that students could participate in.

“She worked endlessly to create an environment for new students to feel loved and welcomed,” Becerril said. “Always going out of her way to go the extra mile.”

She said after graduating the two remained good friends and Becerril was a bridesmaid in Hudson’s wedding. She said that Hudson did whatever she could to support her family.

“The outpouring of sadness for her loss that you see is nothing but a testament to the beautiful person she was,” Becerril said.

Regina (Fleming) Curry, ‘06, was a friend of Hudson’s and described her as a loving, caring and dedicated mother, daughter, wife, educator and friend.

“This is a scary time we are living in as we have no control over this pandemic that is affecting millions of people around the world,” Curry said. “I am reaching out with hopes of Gabrielle’s story being shared with the Utica College community as I feel that her hard work, dedication, and contribution to the Utica College community should be acknowledged and remembered.”

Desirée Dismore, ‘07 attended grade school with Hudson in Freeport on Long Island. She described Hudson as someone that no one would say anything negative about and a positive person all around. 

When Dismore and Hudson went to UC, they both joined BSU as freshmen. They also had daughters the same year as well. 

“Gabby to me is the perfect person,” Dismore said. “A living version of Mother Teresa. Someone who was the change they wanted to see in the world.”