Utica Softball has successful Myrtle Beach trip

Jacob Pian, Staff Writer

The Utica Softball team spent their spring break in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this year, marking the start of the season for the team.

They arrived in South Carolina on Saturday, March 11  to spend the week playing nine games with one eventually being canceled.

Utica faced the University of Maine at Presque Isle during their first game of the season on March 12. They came out strong and won 8-0 in six innings.

The Pioneers scored in four out of the six innings in that first game. They were led by senior pitcher Jordyn Conte of Newport. Conte had five scoreless innings, giving up four hits, one walk and striking out seven.

The Pioneers wasted no time in their next game on Monday, March 13. This game was against Franciscan University, who they walloped 10-0 in five innings. 

Sophomore pitcher Lucia Gargiulo went the full five innings, striking out six and only letting up two hits. Junior outfielder Abbigayle Finch led the way offensively with her game high three RBI’s.

An hour later was the start of their second game of the day, against Randolph College, which the Pioneers won 3-1. That game was led by sophomore pitcher Kylie Murray of Eastchester. Murray went the full seven innings while only giving up one earned run.

Tuesday, March 14 marked another double header for the Pioneers. Game one was against University of Scranton and Game 2 was against Cairn University. 

The Pioneers swept the double, winning game one 6-3. Freshman Cassidy Doiron led the way with two hits and two RBI’s.

Game 2 wasn’t a close one. Utica won 12-3 after five innings.  Murray once again led the way for the Pioneers but this time offensively. She had  a career day at the plate going 4-4 with two RBI’s.

The Pioneers had another double header on Thursday, March 16. Game one was against FDU-Florham and Game 2 against Keene State.

They once again came out ready to play, winning game one  5-1. Conte picked up her second win of the season going the full seven innings striking out four and letting up just one run. 

Sophomore Lauren Paul and Freshman Cassidy Doiron both got it done offensively, leading the way with two hits and one RBI each.

Game two was an offensive explosion for the Pioneers. They racked up 13 hits and 12 runs in just five innings. Five different Pioneers had two hits. Paul and Cassidy both had three RBIs. Utica won this game 12-4, giving them a 7-0 record.

After a very strong seven games for the Pioneers, Friday, March 17 was a little different playing their third straight double header of the week.

The Pioneers had their hands full facing UMass Boston in game one and Lycoming College in game two. 

In game one, the Pioneers fell short losing 5-3. This was the Pioneers’ first loss of the season. Utica was winning 4-3 going into the bottom of the sixth inning but UMass put up a 3 spot giving them a 5-3 lead. They then closed it in the top of the seventh handing the Pioneers their first loss.

Game two was a very similar story. The Pioneers fell just short once again losing 4-3. They were winning 3-0 going into the fourth inning and Lycoming put up four runs in that inning giving them a 4-3 lead which ended up being the final score of this game.

Murray had a standout week, going 14-28 at the plate with five RBI’s. Conte led the way on the mound racking up 19 strikeouts in 16.2 innings and picking up two wins on the week.

After a little break from the Long week in Myrtle Beach, the Pioneers are back at it against Cazenovia on Monday, March 28.

Although this was supposed to be a double header, the rain only allowed game 1 to be played. The Pioneers made the most of it by winning this game 3-1.

Conte led the way on the mound going 6 innings and striking out 7 batters. Down 1-0 going into the 4th innings, Finch came in clutch with the bases loaded hitting a 2 RBI double. Freshman Maddie Zulager then had a double of her own in the 5th inning bringing in the Pioneers third run of the game.

The Pioneers lost a double header against SUNY Polytechnic Institute on Wednesday, March 29. The final scores were 5-8 and 2-3.