Sean Behan named men’s lacrosse head coach

214 Views
Utica+University+mens+lacrosse+team+in+a+huddle.+
Kayleigh Sturtevant
Utica University men’s lacrosse team in a huddle.

Sean Behan, former head coach of Medaille University men’s lacrosse team, has been appointed the new head coach of Utica University men’s lacrosse program. 

Behan’s appointment comes after SUNY Cortland on Sept. 7 announced Lelan Rogers, who coached Utica during the 2022-2023 season, as their new men’s lacrosse head coach. 

Behan, a Utica graduate, played lacrosse for four years where he appeared in 48 games and helped the Pioneers achieve a record nine-win season in 2013. He went on to earn a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice with a concentration in economic crime investigation in 2015 and later that year joined the men’s lacrosse coaching staff as an athletic assistant. While coaching Behan earned his master’s degree in financial crime and compliance management in 2018. 

Behan coached Medaille for two seasons before its closure on Aug. 31, 2023. Shortly after he became an assistant coach at the College of Saint Rose before being named Utica’s new men’s lacrosse coach on Sept. 14. 

He described returning to his alma mater as the head coach of the program he once played for as a “dream come true.” 

“The opportunity to come back to the place where it all started is extremely special to me. I am excited to get to campus and start working with the administration, coaches, and players,” he told The Tangerine. “Utica provided not only a great education and an opportunity to play at the next level for me but also the opportunity to begin my passionate coaching career. I am looking forward to returning the favor.”