Women’s Soccer Wins Season Opener Against Morrisville

Rylee Lamphere scores and assists in Utica’s 6-1 win
Rylee Lamphere registered a four-point game in Utica’s season-opening win away at Morrisville State College. Photo Kayleigh Sturtevant | Multimedia Editor

MORRISVILLE, N.Y. — Rylee Lamphere’s goal and two assists in Utica’s Sept. 1 season opener got the Pioneers off to a thrilling start with a convincing 6-1 win over Morrisville State College.  

The Pioneers started the scoring early when Kaela Mochak netted the first goal of the game just shy of the two-minute mark in the opening period from an assist by Lamphere. The Pioneers then upped the lead when midfielder Gabriela Daumant converted in the 23rd minute off the back of a Kayla Giovingo assist.  

The Pioneers built on their 2-0 lead with goals from senior Mikayla Kelley assisted by Lamphere, her second of the match, and forward Julianna Beaulieu in the 47th and 48th minute of the final period. 

“I think this team is something extremely special. The chemistry is amazing and we all want to win,” Beaulieu said. “We want to come out of every game proud of our performance and with a [win] under our sleeves.”

Lamphere got her first goal of the season in the 52nd minute to pair with her double assist 5-0 It was before Callie Laforntaine’s 73rd-minute consolation goal for Morrisville was canceled out by Jazmyn Gillette’s 24 seconds later to make it 6-1. 

Goalkeepers Courtney Connolly and Karen Troche both appeared in goal for the Pioneers conceding only one among the two. Troche, a junior, allowed the only goal of the game after a 23-minute appearance. Connolly on the other hand kept a clean sheet throughout her 63 minutes of play, ceiling the Pioneer’s 1-0 start to the season.  

“We did a great job of connecting passes and finding each other’s feet. We were able to move the ball up the field as a team and create many scoring opportunities,” Connolly said. “We had some six different people score against Morrisville which shows the diversity we have on offense this season.” 

With 20 shots on goal compared to Morrisville’s two compiled with a four-point performance by Lamphere the 2023-2024 campaign is off to a quick start for last year’s Empire 8 runners-up. The Pioneers (1-0, 0-0 Empire 8) will be back in action on Wednesday, Sept. 6, in an away matchup against SUNY Poly (1-1, 1-0 North Atlantic Conference) as they look to extend to two games unbeaten.

View Comments (1)