Lelan Rogers leaves for SUNY Cortland, Lacrosse without a head coach

142 Views
Lelan+Rogers+in+the+huddle+against+Nazareth+College+during+the+2022-2023+season.+
Kayleigh Sturtevant
Lelan Rogers in the huddle against Nazareth College during the 2022-2023 season.

Lelan Rogers, the head coach of Utica University’s men’s lacrosse team during the 2022-2023 season, has returned to SUNY Cortland to coach their men’s lacrosse program for the 2023-2024 season. 

Cortland on Sept. 7 announced Rogers as their new head coach. Rogers first coached the Red Dragons from 2001 through to 2005 and guided the program to five consecutive NCAA tournament appearances, five SUNYAC regular season championships, and four SUNYAC tournament championships in four years along with a 17-win season, a program record in 2003.

Rogers, who was a defensive coordinator at Syracuse University from 2007 to 2021 and helped the Orange secure back-to-back national championships in 2007 and 2008 has replaced Steve Beville at Cortland, who after 17 seasons retired.

Rogers was hired by Utica in June of 2022 after the passing of long-time coach and former Utica men’s lacrosse player Mike Parnell in December 2021. 

Rogers finished 7-10 overall with a 3-4 conference record, fifth in the Empire 8 standings during the 2022-2023 season, 5-5 at home and 2-5 away. During his one season at Utica, two players were selected for Empire 8 All-Conference honors.

While the lacrosse team is currently without a head coach, Utica’s Athletic Director Dave Fontaine said there’s a search to find Rogers’s replacement. 

“The search is going well,” Fontaine said. “And we hope to have someone in place soon.”