Hagen Foley scores 22 points in Utica’s 94-77 win over Houghton for 10th straight win

Hagen Foley had a season high of 22 points in Utica’s victory over Houghton University. Photo by Kaleigh Sturtevant.

UTICA, N.Y. — Hagen Foley’s 22 points and four assists in Utica’s Jan. 27 Breast Cancer Awareness Game was enough for a 94-77 win over Houghton University. The win was the tenth straight for the Pioneers and it brought them to 15-2 which is best in the Empire 8 conference.

The Pioneers started off with a season high 56 points in the first half. Foley had 11 points in the first half and Damien Call led the way at the break with 12 points of his own. The Pioneers had a 32 point advantage at halftime by a score of 56-24.

In the second half Houghton found some momentum, outscoring Utica 53-38.  Houghton’s Jajuan Preaster, who finished the contest with 25 points, scored 19 in the second half. Despite Houghton’s pressure, Foley was able to add 11 more points to his tally. Justice Brantley led the Pioneers in the second with 12 points.

Brantley finished the game as the second leading scorer for Utica with 20 points. Call tallied 12 points and 11 rebounds, marking a double-double. 

When asked about the takeaways from the game, Foley saideven though they played a great game, Utica can always find ways to improve as a team.

“I think we were able to do many good things within that game that we can build off of, with that being said we also have a lot of stuff we can learn and work on from that game,” Foley said. “We can use all of it as a learning tool to keep getting better and be at the best we can be in our future games.”

Even though Utica has a conference best 15-2 record most players still are not satisfied. Junior guard Griffin Barasa said at the end of the day the record only goes so far and it does not mean much if you do not perform in the Empire 8 or NCAA tournament.

“Our expectations are obviously to make the NCAA tournament. We’ve come so close the last 2 years in the E8 (Empire 8) tournament and we just need to pull through because we know we are more than capable,” Barasa said. “It’s great to have this record but it doesn’t mean anything if we lose in the first round like we did last year. We have a bunch of experience at this stage including myself, so we just need to be disciplined, follow the game plan, and be basketball players and we will get the job done.”

After the game, head coach Sean Coffey said while Utica has been banged up as of late, he loves how his team has fought and continued winning.

“We have had some major injuries of late and we are hitting the biggest grind of the season over the next couple of weeks,” Coffey said. “I expect us to prepare well, play with effort and intelligence and see what players may be able to step up and contribute when given the opportunity due to these injuries.”

Coffey also touched on how important the annual Breast Cancer Awareness Game is to him.

“Cancer touches everyone in some way, particularly breast cancer,” Coffey said. “I am part of the Mohawk Valley Area chapter of Real Men Wear Pink, in which those that have a platform in our community help to raise money and awareness. This game is a major part of my efforts to raise funds for that organization’s initiative.”

The Pioneers (15-2, 8-0 Empire 8) will play home at Miga Court in their next contest at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 30 against Nazareth College (12-6, 9-1 Empire 8) where Utica will look to win their eleventh straight game.