20th Annual Sitrin Celebrity Wheelchair Basketball Game on campus April 11

Syracuse University Men’s Basketball stars Chris Bell and Maliq Brown will headline the 20th Annual Sitrin Celebrity Classic Wheelchair Basketball Game. Photo courtesy of Sitrin.

Local celebrities and Sitrin’s STARS athletes will face off in the 20th Annual Celebrity Classic Wheelchair Basketball game on Thursday, April 11 at 6:30 p.m., in the Clark Athletic Center.

Syracuse University men’s basketball players Chris Bell and Maliq Brown will headline this year’s game. Two fans will have a chance to compete against Bell and Brown in a three-point competition during halftime. There will also be a silent auction of sports memorabilia, a 50/50 raffle and free autographs during the second half of the game.

Proceeds will benefit the Sitrin STARS program, which provides opportunities for individuals with physical disabilities to participate in a variety of adaptive sports including wheelchair curling, road racing, target shooting, paddling, biathlon and archery, in addition to wheelchair basketball. Sitrin STARS athletes have competed on the international and Paralympic level and have represented the United States throughout the world.

“We are grateful to the community, participants, and event sponsors for their continued support of the Celebrity Classic,” said Marc DePerno, vice president of Foundation and Communications and director of the STARS program. “The STARS athletes look forward to showcasing their amazing abilities and taking on the Celebrity Cruisers for what will surely be an exciting game.”

The local celebrity roster continues with Sen. Joseph Griffo, Assemblywoman Marianne Buttenschon, Assemblyman Brian Miller, Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente and Oneida County Sheriff Robert Maciol,  among other community leaders. 

Returning to defend their 19-year winning streak are STARS athletes Hermin Garic, elite road racer and the first Oneida County resident to win the Boilermaker 15K; Kevin Burnside, gold medal winner in 2K Nordic sprint and 6K biathlon at the 2022 Empire State Winter Games; Jimmy “Jam” Joseph, three-time Paralympian; Tammy Delano, Paralympian; as well as other STARS athletes.

Tickets, which can be purchased online or at the door, are $10 for adults 18 years of age and older, and $5 for students of any age. Children under five years old are free. For ticket information, visit www.sitrin.com/celebrityclassic.

Snacks and refreshments will be available for purchase. Doors open at 6 p.m.