Faculty Trivia: Associate Professor of History Clemmie Harris

Dr. Clemmie Harris is currently running for New York’s 22nd District Congressional seat. Courtesy of Clemmie Harris

Dr. Clemmie Harris is an associate professor of history who is currently running for New York’s 22nd District Congressional seat. If elected in 2024, he will represent cities including Syracuse, Utica and Rome in the U.S. House of Representatives. But here are six facts you probably didn’t know about Harris:  

1. Harris served in the United States Army as a staff sergeant with the designation of drill sergeant – where they were responsible for developing, maintaining, and utilizing soldiers’ potential. His time serving in the U.S. Army allowed him to push himself to new limits.
  2. He also worked as a criminal investigator for the New York State Police, enforcing state penal law. Harris worked in a broad realm of law enforcement as he was involved in several areas of expertise. He aided in hostage negotiations in addition to the investigation of narcotics, and bias-related and hate crimes.
  3. Harris is the co-editor of Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography (PMHB), a peer-reviewed academic journal covering the history of Pennsylvania. It has been published by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania since 1877, taking a scholarly approach to state and local history, industry, genealogy, culture and related subjects.
  4. He is the lead author of the book “If There Is No Struggle, There Is No Progress: Black Politics in Twentieth-Century Philadelphia.” The book provides an in-depth historical analysis of the people and movements that made Philadelphia a center of political activism. It focuses on the impact that Black activism in Philadelphia had on the development of Black politics across the nation.
  5. Over the past 40 years, Harris helped many students navigate their lives and careers. His dedication to being a mentor to students, even after they have graduated, is driven by their value of potential. He does not like potential to be wasted. 
  6. In 2018, he received a humanitarian award from K. Della Ferguson’s Women’s Resource Center. Humanitarian is a perfect way to describe Harris; his inclination to promote human welfare is evident through his dedication to public service.