‘Baby’ cast worked together in ‘harmony’

“Baby” cast onstage. /Photo courtesy of Victoria DeLuca.

Utica University Theater Club’s spring musical “Baby” opened on April 4 and ran through April 6. After seeing the show, I can say that the theater club once again has outdone themselves with another spectacular show.

The show tells the story of three couples of expectant parents and the ups and downs that come with becoming parents.

The show opened by introducing the audience to the couples, one being in college in their twenties, one in their thirties and wanting to be parents more than anything, and the final couple being in their forties and enjoying their lives after their older children have already grown up.

Each couple reacted to having a child differently. The youngest couple was mostly shocked, the oldest couple was a mix of shocked and happy, and the middle couple was the most ecstatic with the news of having a baby. I thought the casting choices for the couples were very well done as each couple had actors who were in-sync and complemented each other’s roles well. 

I loved how the set changed as the show went on. The setup of the stage was simple but there was enough design and use of props that no matter where the lights landed, you felt as if you were in a different area entirely, instead of all couples being in the same room or place. 

I especially loved how the story seemed to focus equally on both the mothers-to-be and the fathers-to-be. The show really gave a chance for people to see things from each person’s perspective which helped me to understand both personalities of each couple if they argued or were trying to work out a solution to a problem.

The music in the show was entertaining and fun. I also liked how some songs focused on some couples during their heartfelt moments. One of my favorite songs is between the youngest couple Lizzie and Danny as Danny is about to leave to go on tour with a band to make money for their new baby. He sings her a song called “I Chose Right” as a farewell before he leaves. I liked this song because I felt it really established that no matter what, Danny and Lizzie truly love each other and won’t give up on one another. 

The show’s lighting was simple yet brought creativity to the stage since the lights shone not only on the cast as a whole but also to focus perfectly on each couple if there was a scene where only one of the three couples were present.Overall, it was a very nice show done with a very well casted group of people who worked together in perfect harmony. I would see it again if I got the chance.