Out of The Darkness Walk planned next month to raise awareness on suicide prevention

Promotional image for the 2024 Out of the Darkness walk hosted by Kappa Delta Phi. /Photo courtesy of Kappa Delta Phi’s Instagram @kdphinas_utica

Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority will host an Out of The Darkness Walk on Sunday, April 7, at Utica University to raise funds and awareness for suicide prevention. 

The goal is to raise $10,000 for American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

On-site registration for the event begins at 11 a.m.; the walk will start at 12:30 p.m. and end at 2 p.m. Participants will start at Duffy Plaza, with the definitive route to be announced soon. 

Duanena Graves, philanthropy chair of Kappa Delta Phi, said that she hopes the walk will cause people to be more aware of mental health.

“I am glad the event got approved because I want people to unite at the event to show their support in preventing suicides,” Graves said. “I hope the weather will be nice on the day of the event.”

Sorority president Samantha Shaffer said the philanthropic sorority takes pride in raising funds and awareness for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. The walk is a great way to show support to those who struggle with mental health and suicidal thought, she said.

“Having suicidal thoughts is not easy to deal with,” Shaffer said. “I hope this event will receive a lot of support and love from people.”

Shaffer said the sorority often participates in walk events outside of campus and she is excited to bring this event to campus for everyone to participate in.

“Getting involved with this type of event would be a great way to spend quality time with friends and family as well as getting a chance to do a good deed,” Shaffer said.

Harleigh Dorrity, vice president of Kappa Delta Phi, said the event is similar to the Unity Walk, an annual tradition at Utica University.

“The Unity Walk event allows people on campus to support the importance of diversity and values of belonging, but the Out of the Darkness Walk event is to raise funds and awareness for suicide prevention,” Dorrity said. “Both events are similar because people will gather at Duffy Plaza and march around campus as a symbol of unity supporting the objective of the events.”

Dorrity hopes to see at least 100 people participate.

“I hope many people will support this event because it will not only mean a lot to the sorority and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, but it means a lot to people with mental health,” Dorrity said.