Spotlight on student research with faculty

Research from 2015 with Distinguished Professor of Biology Bryant Buchanan was submitted to a granting agency which gave money to create chambers for light manipulation. /Photo courtesy of Professor Bryant Buchanan

New scientific discoveries are being made everyday on the Utica University campus where students have the opportunity to join and collaborate with faculty. There are many opportunities for research since many faculty here at Utica have wide ranges of expertise. 

Many ongoing experiments have spanned over several years and new topics can be pursued in the future. Some of the research subjects examined include cell formation, developmental biology, behavioral ecology and mental health.   

According to Distinguished Professor of Biology Bryant Buchanan, he tries to determine what students are interested in and then provides support towards possible research projects.

“I try to sit down with students and go through active and dream research and see what aligns with them best,” Buchanan said. “I allow students to put in as little or as much time as they can but it varies on the research they choose to pursue.” 

The process of experimental research provides students with a new way of learning and thinking. Instead of gaining knowledge from textbooks, students get direct personal experience. From this, it is shown that students’ professional development and skill building is enhanced. 

Animal Behavior major Peyton Walker is conducting a research project with Distinguished Professor of Biology Thomas McCarthy on predator chemical cues.

“Research is teaching me important skills such as time management, perseverance and problem solving,” Walker said. “I also really enjoy the experience in the lab because I learn different scientific procedures that I wouldn’t have known otherwise.”

According to Associate Professor of Biology Sarah Keesom, not only will students benefit from research, but the university will as well.

“Universities are places for learning and understanding, one of the broader purposes being to advance our knowledge of the world,” Keesom said. “Thus, research benefits the university, because it fulfills one of the university’s missions: to discover.”

The experience gained from undergraduate research then can be used post graduation. By having these skills and background knowledge someone can go on to advance in their research or utilize these resources down another path.  

“It is exciting for students to work on things people don’t know the answers to,” McCarthy said. 

For more information on past and current research visit, Biology Department | Utica University