Bingo draws big crowds, hoping luck is on their side

Students playing Bingo. Image courtesy of Marissa Hall.

The Office of Student Living and Campus Engagement (SLCE) has been hosting various Bingo events over the semester – and they are well attended. 

The office has reported massive student turnout for each Bingo event, averaging 96 attendees. Director of Student Living Marissa Hall attributes it to the enthusiasm towards the prospect of winning the prizes on display for every game.

These prizes, ranging in value from $25 to $100, are already desirable items and vary from luxury goods like Beats headphones and speakers to general goods such as cleaning supplies. This variety of prizes allows the Bingo event to attract those looking to test their luck while enjoying the thrills of competition.

Hall said this Bingo event is only the beginning for a selection of signature events created by SLCE to headline student engagement in the near future. 

“We are looking into ideas for next semester,” Hall said. “But Bingo is definitely here to stay.”

The idea for these Bingo events stemmed from a similar event hosted by Assistant Director of Residential Education Tyler Davis last semester. To celebrate the arrival of new washer and dryers in five of the residence halls, a Bingo event titled Laundry 101 was held, which proved to have such significant turnout among both students and faculty, that SLCE decided to offer the concept as a regularly-scheduled event.

Each Bingo event tries to focus on educating students on various topics, from Black history to essentials for living on campus.

Perks of attending multiple Bingo events include the opportunity to have an additional Bingo board simply by completing a survey that’s handed out after every event. 

For freshman student Claire Bruley, it’s a fun event to look forward to.

“It’s good to know that we can have such simple events to look forward to here,” Bruley said. “It goes to show, not everything has to be really big and bombastic in order to draw attention.”

SLCE said this attention is a significant step in encouraging students to show up for events. The SLCE office is rescheduling the next Bingo event, which will be held in April.