UC’s yearbook scrapped

Utica College discontinues yearbook

Jaime Evanoff, Staff Writer

Every year Utica College provides seniors with a free class yearbook however, national trends are indicating that most colleges are eliminating them to free up funds for additional programming.

Utica College will continue to offer printed yearbooks for the 2016-2017 year but plans on discontinuing them after May. A survey of current juniors showed that there was little interest in having a yearbook, even with no cost to them.

“I didn’t even know yearbooks existed here,” junior Alex Scanio said. “Since they are free and people don’t seem to know about them, UC should take that money and put it towards programming for the class.”

The elimination of the yearbook will save a tremendous amount of money and allow the additional funding to be reinvested into the class. Currently, senior week includes a pub night and a senior ball. Having additional funding would provide staff members with the opportunity to enhance that week with new programming and exciting opportunities for students.

Although the majority feel the elimination would be good, some students seem to disagree. Junior Luke Pena feels that having a college yearbooks provides a nice keep-sake for graduating seniors and eliminating it wouldn’t be the right move.

“In my high school I had to pay for my yearbook but I did not have the money at the time to get it,” Pena said. “Now I don’t have anything to show my future kids and I am bummed about that. If UC takes away our yearbook, what am I going to have to look back on in 50 years.”