Construction on new science building ongoing as structure begins to rise

Photo from utica.edu

Just outside of Gordon Science Center, the new science building is taking shape as construction continues. This addition is a part of a series of college improvements that are modernizing campus and improving the quality of student life.

The $13 million science complex that connects Gordon Science Center and Romano Hall is on track to open in early August, just in time for the fall semester.

All interior walls are up but have yet to be painted, and from the outside, it is clear that the windows have been added and the building is ready for siding. 

The science complex will be filled with new teaching labs for contemporary biology, geology and chemistry. The building will also include faculty and student research areas and plenty of space for interactions and work to be done outside the classroom. 

More specifically, teaching labs will include the following:

• Genetics and molecular biology lab
  • Cell biology and biochemistry lab
  • Analytic chemistry lab
  • Anatomy and physiology lab
  • Animal behavior lab and other animal care facilities 

“We have specialized research space including a clean molecular lab, cell culture lab and microscopy lab” Dean of Arts and Sciences and Professor of Biology Sharon Wise explained. 

Vice President for College Infrastructure and the Utica College lead on the project, Matthew Carr, mirrored much of the same enthusiasm for the cutting-edge additions.

“Other spaces include a new vivarium with two procedure rooms and four climate-controlled housing rooms,” Carr said.

The geology department is also awaiting state-of-the-art renovations.

“We also have a computer lab facility for GIS classes, mapping classes and other classes in geology and other sciences where we need a computer lab space,” Wise said. 

Although this project is enhancing the science department, non-science majors can still anticipate using the new complex as the building will have an active-learning classroom space that promotes the integration of lecture and lab for physics and other science classes usually taken by varying majors. 

You can see all there is to look forward to in the science complex by watching the four-minute virtual tour found here.

View Comments (1)