March Associates awarded contract to renew Clark Athletic Center

The Miga Court in the Clark Athletic Center. / Photo courtesy of Utica University Athletics.

March Associates, an architecture company based in the Utica area, have officially been awarded a contract to begin work on the Harold T. Clark Athletic Center renovations, according to Vice President of Facilities and Emergency Management Shad Crowe

Reported by The Tangerine on Dec. 7, 2023, the Harold T. Clark Athletic Center will be renovated in the coming semesters in a plan meant to update the entire building.

“The contract will allow March Associates to begin a full review of the entire project and provide architectural renderings for proposed renovations and improvements,” Crowe said.

Previously completed projects by March Associates at Utica University include the Sherwood Boehlert Hall and Conference Center and South Hall Lounge. The group has also had experience working for other higher education institutions, such as MVCC and Kirkland. 

“March Associates was chosen due to their extensive experience in projects not only here on the Utica Campus but also in the Central NY area,” Crowe said. “Their proposal was identified by the committee as having the greatest potential to provide a thorough and definitive review of the existing facility as well as a vision for the future.”

According to Crowe, the next step for both March Associates and Utica University is to fully assess the Clark Athletic Center, specifically in how it services the Utica University community from the public student body to sports teams. 

“Additionally, and most importantly none of the above can be assessed without first completing a thorough infrastructure assessment,” Crowe said. “[This includes] structural integrity, HVAC, water, gas, electricity, etc.”

At this time, there are no specific proposals, designs, or plans to detail, as the March Associates team still needs to complete their assessment. Further updates will be provided in the coming months as the project develops.