Club Profile: Bible Study Club

Photo by Lydia Iorio

Bible Study Club has existed at Utica University for around 10 years, but is one many students might not know about. The club’s goal is to give students a convenient place on campus to continue or start their relationship with Christ. It allows a comfortable environment for open conversations regarding Christianity.

Meetings are held in the Gannett Library conference room every Sunday at 2 p.m. and are based on the Scriptures. Club members read agreed-upon chapters before the meeting and then have an open discussion based on their learning or understanding of the Scripture.

Chris Kane, a junior and member of the Bible Study Club, said he enjoys how the study leads to deeper group discussions. 

“The great part about the study is that we often tend to get off track and discuss many topics,” Kane said. “These topics can be world events, specific questions some may be unsure of, and cross reference. It’s a time to just have conversations with like minded people.”

The club is open to newcomers, from those who already have deep faith to those who are uncertain or questioning their faith.

Matthew Brantley III, a senior and criminal justice major at Utica University, is the club’s president. He said he joined to help others find a relationship with Jesus. Brantley’s consistency and endurance are what led him to fill the leadership role in the club today.

“You don’t have to ‘pledge’ to make a commitment to this group,” Brantley said. “Just come to experience the love, wisdom and power of Jesus Christ.” 

Kane said he is normally a shy and reserved person, so conversations about his beliefs don’t always come easy to him.

“Because of this study, my faith has grown stronger and has allowed me to be bold in Jesus and the Bible. It has really helped me be more bold in living out my faith,” Kane said.

The club is relatively small with six members, but it is growing and may move their meeting time to Wednesdays at 2:30 p.m. to better fit members’ schedules. Bible Study Club does not maintain any social media accounts so interested students can email Brantley or Kane at [email protected] or [email protected].