“Behind U” Staff Spotlight: Killy Bobela

Killy Bobela at work at LeBistro. /Photo courtesy of Killy Bobela

This week The Tangerine is introducing a new “Behind U”staff spotlight feature, highlighting the people who support and serve the Utica University community every day. Killy Bobela, the Sodexo barista who works at LeBistro in Gordon Science Center, is the first “Behind U” profile.

Q: How did you become a barista for LeBistro?

A: I started working for Sodexo after COVID. My original job was management in food service. I actually worked at another university for 15 years as a manager in food service. When I moved to this area, this job came up online so I applied for it and Damian [Boehlert] called me in for an interview; next thing you know I’m here and working.

Q: Since you started working here, what has been your favorite part of the job?

A: I like seeing the students everyday, talking to them and seeing how they are doing. Just overall being in touch with everybody on campus and getting to know new people everyday.

Q: Some students tend to get involved with Sodexo in order to make some extra money while they’re living on campus. Is there any piece of advice you’d give to students who are interesting in joining

A: I’ve always told my employees in the past to come to work on time, make sure to call in if you’re not coming in and just talk to the managers if there’s a problem. Damian works very well with the students and if they need to talk he tries his best to set up and meet with them around their schedule.

Q: When you’re not working on campus, what are some activities or hobbies that you do in your free time?

A: My husband and I like to go to concerts, specifically we follow a lot of jam bands. My favorite is a jam band known as Moe. I also ski and me and my husband also like to cook for our family a lot so we try to do gatherings with family often, basically family dinner once a week if we can.