Domestic Violence Awareness Hygiene Drive collects 793 items, Chi Beta Sigma with the most donations at 193

Photo: Nick McAdam

The Utica College Safe Trax program has concluded its Domestic Violence Awareness Hygiene Drive for the month of October. The program collected a total of 793 items from students, faculty, staff and various clubs and professional organizations on campus.

Chi Beta Sigma donated the most with a total of 193 items. The sorority was presented with a photo and award presentation on Nov. 10 in the Strebel Lounge as YWCA Campus Advocate Maria Klosek was present to accept the items.

The campaign coincides with Domestic Violence Awareness Month which has occurred annually since 1981. The drive was initiated by Safe Trax Coordinator Jennifer Jones as items were collected to directly help survivors of domestic violence and abuse.

“We had multiple clubs, teams and organizations participate in the drive this year,” Jones said. “It was successful and it’s something we plan to continue to do each year.”

Seniors Emily Kadin and Vinni Palmisano along with other Chi Beta Sigma members accepted the award and were all honored in the participation from the community to the overall initiative.

“Domestic violence is our philanthropy,” they said. “It’s an honor. We’re beyond grateful to those who donated money and products. It’s really going toward a great cause. We’re beyond happy that these efforts will have a direct benefit to members of the community we live in.”

Going forward, the sorority plans to raise awareness and funds for Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month, a cause that remains dear to the sorority.