We Are UC: Joshua Henry

Contributed by Joshua Henry

“We Are UC” highlights the people who thread the fabric of the Utica College community. These profiles are written from the perspective of the subjects themselves.

Story by Whitney Morris, photo provided by Joshua Henry

I would not change anything throughout my college career because I feel that I lived the best college experience I could have lived. Though there were times I was not necessarily happy here, I learned that it is whatever you make of it. What makes Utica College unique to me are the students and supportive administration. The students make up what UC is and when administration supports the students, it shows tremendously.

My name is Joshua Henry and I am a senior from Connecticut. Initially, I chose Utica College because they gave me a great scholarship in the beginning, and they have an amazing physical therapy program. Utica College offers a lot of opportunities, but you have to go out and find them.

I am a former member of the Black Student Union, Caribbean Connection Association and Fuerza Latina. Currently, I am a brother of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated and have been for almost two years. I am also the president of the Inter Greek Council and have been for the past year and a half. For this past school year, I have been the programming director for K. Della Ferguson Womyn’s Resource Center. I also hold eboard positions in the Student Government Association and House of Orgs.

Phi Beta Sigma has been the organization that molded me into the person I am today. Pledging for this fraternity was a big accomplishment for me. Also, joining the Womyn’s Resource Center was a big eye opener for me as I learned so much about sexual assault, domestic violence and women’s rights — all in the span of a semester.

My ultimate goal in life now is to be the programming director of a non-profit organization. All the organizations that I am a part of now or have been a part of deal with coordinating events. It’s just a skill that I picked up here at UC that I think I do pretty well with, so I chose to use it as a career path.

When it comes to time management, I like write to everything down to stay organized. When I wake up, I write out everything I need to do for the day with corresponding times to complete them. I don’t have a lot of time to myself, so during my free time I like to workout and play basketball. But, I mostly use my free time to unwind, collect my thoughts and just be within my own space.