Nostalgic Sports Moments Revisited

Source%3A+Zimbio
Source: Zimbio

Michael Johnson, Staff Writer

For every sports fan there has been a moment that makes them fall in love with the game. Whether it was an amazing play, a championship win, a knockout, or a game-winner, these type of moments are what keeps them tuned into every game. There has been certain major moments in the sports world throughout history that nobody who watched it will ever forget.

The Utica College community is loaded with die hard sports fans. People who never miss a game while the team that they cheer on is playing. Fans who have seen countless unforgettable moments throughout their lifetime that are lifelong fans because of certain moments that they have witnessed.

“My favorite memory was in 2016, when the Chicago Cubs came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat the Indians in the 2016 World Series,” senior Tom Giglio said, referring to the Chicago Cubs breaking their 108 year old World Series drought.

“Just the way the Cubs demonstrated team baseball, it was a great all around series to watch and the Cubs finally got the title,” Giglio said.

The Utica College community also has many combat sports fans including boxing and UFC.

“My favorite moment was when Conor McGregor became the first double-champion in UFC History,” senior Mark Martinez said.

Martinez is talking about when McGregor defeated Eddie Alvarez to become the UFC Lightweight Champion in 2016 while he was already the UFC Featherweight Champion.

“This was such an amazing moment for fans because McGregor is the biggest star UFC has ever had. Him having both belts made UFC one of the top discussions around the country,” Martinez said. McGregor has no doubt offered the star-fire in which the UFC has lacked for so many years prior.

“My favorite moment was when Odell Beckham Jr. made that one-handed catch,” freshman Bianca Bullen said. Bullen is referring to arguably the greatest catch in football when Odell Beckham Jr. made a seemingly impossible catch against the Dallas Cowboys in his rookie season in 2014.

“I have watched a lot of football in my life and that is the one play that I always remember because it seemed like he defied the law of physics on that catch. It was like impossible,” Bullen added. This catch was the career spark for the now highest paid receiver in the history of football.

The Utica College community is especially enthusiastic while getting a chance to talk about a New York sports team.

“My favorite sports memory was when the Yankees beat the Phillies in the 2009 World Series,” senior Alex Rocci said.

“I have little memory of the Yankees World Series wins in the late 90s and early 2000s so this was the first and only one that I’ve gotten the chance to witness. The Yankees lineup with Rodriguez, Jeter, Sabathia, Matsui, Cano, and Rivera dominated Major League Baseball that year and I’m sure no Yankees fan will ever forget a team with that many no doubt future Hall of Famers,” Rocci added.