What TV Shows Are Students Watching?

Source%3A+andarrioabrams.wordpress.com
Source: andarrioabrams.wordpress.com

Gavin McCann, Staff Writer

When it comes to watching television, students have their own preference of shows whether it is on TV or streaming shows through services like Netflix or Hulu.

Criminal justice major Ryan Keefe enjoys watching his favorite TV programs through television broadcast.

“I’m a huge ‘NCIS’ guy,” he said. “I watch it while I do homework, cook and work out. There’s nothing better than coming home from class, turning the TV on and seeing that ‘NCIS’ is on. It’s very therapeutic to me. One day I hope to work in law enforcement, I think that’s why it interests me so much. I love the fact that I can apply some things from the show into my career.”

While some students still enjoy watching shows on cable television, others enjoy the simplicity of streaming services available today.

“To be honest I don’t remember the last time I watched a show on cable television,” said Justin Shabman, a business major at UC. “I love sports, so the only time I watch cable television is when there’s a good game on.”

When it comes to watching shows, Shabman prefers to watch on a streaming service.

“One show that I’ve been watching lately is ‘Game of Thrones’ on HBO,” Shabman said.  “I like the fact that there’s no commercials or anything, so it makes it easier to follow along with everything that’s going on in the show.”

While streaming TV through services like Netflix, Hulu and HBO are popular among students, others turn to video games as a source of entertainment .  

“I use to be a big fan of ‘Black Mirror’ on Netflix, but I started to get bored of it,” said Eric Sahagian, a criminal justice major at Utica College.

As of late, Sahagian has been spending most of his downtime playing “Fortnite.”

“Lately, I’ve switched my focus to video games,” Sahagian said. “I’d say that’s the new big thing going on right now. I could spend hours on Fortnite and not even realize it. It’s so much fun.”

Junior Noah Martin’s favorite show right now is “Peaky Blinders” on Netflix.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t addicted to that show and didn’t watch it hours on end at a time,” Martin said. “I love shows that are unpredictable and have a ton of curveballs. I heard that Peaky Blinders is one of those shows that’s action packed and will keep it on your toes, so I gave it a try and now I am totally hooked on it.”

Some students at UC  have tried to get into a show, but cannot commit to watch it at length.

“I’m honestly not a big TV show type of guy,” Zach Schellenger, an accounting major at UC. “I’ve tried to sit there and get into a show, but I can’t bring myself to pay attention for that long.”

Schellenger would rather sit down and watch a movie because he can sit down and piece everything together.