New physical education course will make you look strapping

Rylee Meelan, Staff Writer

Looking for a new, creative way to stay in shape? PED 140 is a new physical education class that could be the key to your new healthy lifestyle.

PED 140 is a class on TRX training taught by Maggie Matrulli every Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30-7:45 a.m. in the dome. But don’t let the early hour intimidate you.

It’s a form of body weight exercises that utilizes body positioning and targets different muscle groups. It’s a very unique form of training because it has the ability to reach many different ends of the spectrum. Most importantly you are using your own body as a form of resistance. “It’s fun, effective and efficient,” said Matrulli.

TRX was created by Navy SEAL Randy Hetrick. While on deployment, Hetrick was looking for a way to stay in shape but was struggling due to the lack of equipment given. Hetrick decided to make the most out of what he had. He used an old jiu-jitsu belt and hung his new contraption over a door. Little did he know that this would open a whole new door into the training world. With just his single strap he was doing rows, pull-ups, curls and a host of other exercises. After seeing that this could open up a new door not only for Hetrick but for everyone else, he pursued TRX Suspension Training.

Different sports use this form of training for different exercises to target specific muscle groups related to the sport. This class has been offered for a few semesters but many people still don’t know what this class is. One thing that Maggie Matrulli wants students and faculty to know about her class is, “You don’t need to know how to do TRX exercises before coming into the class. We start simple and then grow together as a class. This class is very instructional so everyone can benefit from it.” This class is for everyone, no matter if you are a beginner or are experienced with training and TRX. All exercises are scalable to anyone’s athletic ability.

One of the most unique aspects of TRX strength training is that all of the exercises are core affiliated. Most exercises do not have the ability to do this. TRX is becoming very popular. Many athletes and famous people are using this form of training in their daily routines. The TRX strap has become a staple in gyms, rehab centers and PT offices.

A main hurdle of the TRX training class is the early hours that the class is offered. It runs for 8 weeks, every Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30 to 7:45 a.m. Students struggle to enjoy waking up at an early hour, which makes the class suffer with low numbers. Matrulli and others are working on setting up the class to be taught later in the morning so more students would be encouraged to sign up.

The sports teams on campus utilize the TRX bands in the athletic dome as a part of their training. Since so many teams are putting the dome to use, the TRX bands are rarely open to use later in the day when teams are practicing.

Matrulli has been a personal trainer for over 20 years now. When she first heard about TRX she was very intrigued because she is all about helping others to improve performance in all athletes she comes across. Because of how unique TRX training is, she knew how important it was to introduce it to others. Matrulli has volunteered her time recently to help out the track and field team to improve their movement and stability.