What did Utica College students do on St. Patrick’s Day?

Source%3A+blog.payoneer.com
Source: blog.payoneer.com

Emmalyn Ylaya, Tangerine Clerk

Now that the month of March is coming to an end, many have celebrated St. Patrick’s Day with their family and friends. This is one holiday where people annually celebrate the foremost patron saint of Ireland, St. Patrick. Many families carry out traditions like the widely known corn beef and cabbage dinner. 

Because of the coronavirus rapidly spreading all over the world, many St. Patrick’s Day public events this year were canceled to practice social distancing. Despite the cancelations, many Utica College students were able to make the best of the situation and still celebrate in one way or another. 

Some participated in activities happening at work or at home with their family while others, such as senior Ryan Van Laere, practiced social distancing and stayed home for St. Patrick’s Day. 

“I didn’t really do much to celebrate,” Van Laere said. “However, I did end up getting together with my roommates and we would drink while we are hanging out all together.” 

Junior Kiah Duffy’s job at a restaurant kept her busy for the holiday. Texas Roadhouse, the restaurant Duffy works at, is following the guidelines from the CDC due to the widespread of the Coronavirus.

“Like all restaurants, the restaurant I work at is currently doing orders for take-outs only due to the concerns with the spread of the Coronavirus,” Duffy said. “With all of the concerns and news about this life threatening virus, many businesses are doing the same thing as well.”

As many local news outlets have recently mentioned, all restaurants in New York State are required to do take-out orders only. No dining will be allowed in restaurants until further notice.

“Hopefully, it will reduce the amount of coronavirus cases that are happening and things will go back to normal,” Duffy said. 

Even though most St. Patrick’s Day events were canceled this year, many hope the Coronavirus pandemic will be over by next year and the usual holiday festivities will be back next year. 

If students didn’t have anything to do to celebrate this Irish holiday, some said they ended up watching movies. 

Senior Jordan Wheatley said he didn’t celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in a big way. He went over to his coworkers for a visit and watched some movies online when he got home. 

“I had paperwork to do for my coworkers,” Wheatley said. “When it comes to watching movies at home, I watched ‘Trailer Park Boys’ on Netflix for a while. I also watched ‘Letterkenny’ on Hulu.”