Around the World Dinner offers tastes of globe around campus

Francesca Alfieri, Staff Writer

The Around the World Dinner is one of the many special dinner events that happens at UC. This event was held on Feb. 4 and brought together many different cultures on campus through food. 

The dining hall is decorated all in themed decorations and brings a different atmosphere to the usual common eating area. Damian Boehlert, the general manager of the dining hall, said the event is a “fun way for students, faculty and staff to try new things while traveling around the world.”

The purpose of this event was to bring together students as well as make the dining hall fun and change things up. Also, the influence of this diverse community pushes the need to showcase the things they know best – food – as well as learning new recipes and techniques from the community. 

UC students come from a variety of backgrounds, so it is important to highlight those and bring a little bit of home to everyone’s plate.

Small bites were offered at each station so students had the opportunity to try everything. They had a passport stamped for a chance at winning a declining balance, Boehlert said. 

“This is a fun and upbeat way to generate interest among students, faculty and staff as well as customer satisfaction, our number one goal,” he said. 

Boehlert said the best part of organizing events like this is seeing student reaction as they walk in to eat. 

“I really liked the yucca fries,” sophomore Maddy Frankovic said . “I’ve never tried them before but I learned that yucca is a root vegetable and kind of tastes like a scratchy potato.”

This event featured the following foods:

Homecomings: Mexico – Braised Mexican Pork Shoulder, Mexican Red Rice and Tostones Simple Servings: Greece – Greek Style Chicken, Greek Potatoes, Greek Spinach Grill 46: Jamaica – Yucca Fries & Jamaican Beef Patty Pioneer Pizza: Italy – Assorted Pizzas, Arancini with Tomato Basil Marinara, Spaghetti & Meatballs, Fresh Bread 360: China – Classic Hot & Sour Soup, Teriyaki Turkey Bowl, Vegetable Fried Rice Dessert: Mexico – Churros with Dipping Sauces, Caramel Flan