Dramatic ending at the Oscars

Tionna De Freitas, Features Editor

The 89th Oscar award ceremony took place last Sunday and if you haven’t had the chance to watch or hear what happened, just know that it is said to be the one to go down in history.

Just when you think the Oscars may be boring and full of middle-aged actors and actresses anticipating a win and belting out horrific and not-so-funny jokes, a post-midnight twist makes them worth staying up for.

After one of the more pleasant, if not predictable, runs of show in recent Oscars history, a complete Best Picture upset stunned everyone, as “La La Land” — in the process of receiving the final and most prestigious Oscar of the night onstage, was interrupted by the revelation that “Moonlight” was the actual Best Picture winner.

But have no fear because that final-seconds revelation, and confused awkwardness, served to be one of the most equalizing and wonderful moments in Oscars history. It was hard to accept that “La La Land” had lost and after rushing the stage to accept, give their speeches and thanking everyone from managers to family, only to find out that “Moonlight” had won, but somewhere in between good intentions and studio hype, both films got a chance to share the stage, literally.

“It was a disbelief, you could tell by the look on their faces,” junior Alexandria Scanio said. “I definitely think the academy and celebrities need to practice they’re scripts more before going on stage and presenting. I couldn’t imagine being “La La Land” and getting an award handed to me, only for it to get taken away and handing it over to someone else.”

“But the whole cast of “La La Land” was incredibly gracious. They handed their awards over with good heart, and that’s not easy,” she added.

“La La Land” ended up taking home five Oscars, including Emma Stone winning Best Actress, Best Director, Best Original Music, Best Cinematography and Best Production Design.

Not only was the show notable for the mishaps, there were so many other factors that weighed in and made it great.

Host Jimmy Kimmel made the Oscars fun and shot some jabs at some of the most prestigious stars, but what’s the Oscars without a little celebrity roast? The late night talk show host poked fun at Mel Gibson and Meryl Streep who were both up for nominations.

Nothing says “the show must go on” like a 16-year-old “Moana” star Auli’i Cravalho belting her way through a song after a flag hits the side of her head.

Junior Kaitlyn Dombrowski really enjoyed the stars performance despite the little mishap.

“It was great to see such a talented 16-year-old excel at such a huge event,” Dombrowski said. “I also thought it was funny when they brought in the people from the tour bus. I can’t imagine how surprised I would have been, and that’s an experience that those people will never forget.”

Overall, the show held entertaining promise from beginning to end.

“Oftentimes award shows can be quite lackluster and I end up changing the channel rather quickly, but the show had a good pace and a wide arrangement of entertainment,” Dombrowski said.