Summer best and worst

Joya Pavia, Staff Writer

Summer has quickly come to a close and it is now time to get back into the swing of things. It is not always easy to come back to school after having four months off. Students now have to shift their focus off their summer jobs and hanging out with friends to going to class, writing papers and studying.

There are pros and cons of having four months off from school.

According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, from April to July 2016, the number of employed youth 16 to 24 years old increased by 1.9 million to 20.5 million in the U.S.

“I think that internships are a great way to spend a summer because students get work experience for the field they are studying, which is necessary for a job and you typically get paid on top of that,” senior Francesca Zumpano said.

“I also think that taking a summer class or two is a good idea especially if you can do it in a different country. However, it is also important to make sure you give yourself a bit of time to relax because the school year can get extremely busy and stressful and it is nice to take a break from a busy schedule.”

Freshman Toni Tedesco worked as counselor in a summer camp for the Central Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired.

“I stayed up in the Adirondacks for eight days with 34 other counselors, doing outdoor activities on the lake with blind and visually impaired children,” Tedesco said.

Tedesco said that being a counselor was the best part of her summer. However, she wishes she had the opportunity to travel more.

As students get older, summer is not all fun and games. The majority of students don’t have time to just hangout and relax. Many students are working often or taking summer classes.

Zumpano was fortunate enough to receive six credits during her three-week study abroad experience this summer, which frees up time in her 2016-17 schedule as she intends to graduate a year early.

“I got to see so many different places and I met a lot of great people,” Zumpano said.

Zumpano took the time to enjoy herself, as this was her last summer as a college student.

It is a transition from high school to college, leaving friends and starting a new chapter. The summer prior to college can be emotional for some.

“The worst moments of my summer were when my friends started leaving for school in August,” Tedesco said. “It’s sad to see them go, but I am happy to see them start a new chapter of their lives.”

Tedesco cherished time with her friends because she knew she would eventually have to say goodbye to her childhood friends for the first time.

Although summer is great, some students enjoy getting back to having a set schedule and routine.

Julianna Zegarelli, a junior, was eager to get back into school and see her friends.

“I wish that I didn’t spend as much time working and got to enjoy the nice weather a little bit more,” said Zegarelli, who worked two jobs this summer.

Summer has been known to be the best time of the year, but now many college students can’t wait to get back to school. Throughout the duration of the summer, college students have gained more responsibilities. It is relieving to have a break, but keep in mind it is important to take advantage of opportunities to do internships and work to build your résumé.