‘I Love You Because’ auditions on Sept. 4: What to know

The poster for “I Love You Because”, presenting it as a modern musical love story.

Charles Buckley, Clerk

Auditions for the fall musical “I Love You Because” will take place on Sunday, Sept. 4 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Monday, Sept. 5 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m in Strebel Auditorium. Callbacks will also be held on Monday.

This show is the first musical that has been performed in the fall semester since before the COVID-19 pandemic.

As a result of the pandemic, the past two musicals have been done in the spring semester, breaking a long tradition of fall musicals and spring plays. The spring musicals were “Something Rotten!” in 2021 and “Chicago” in 2022.

The musical “I Love You Because” follows the story of writer and greeting card author Austin after finding out that his girlfriend cheated on him. Upset and distraught, he heads to the local bar where he meets his brother, Jeff. Austin asks Jeff for advice on how to win her back and handle it properly. Jeff offers him the advice of acting like he forgot about her as he sees it as the best way for his brother to attract her attention again.

“It’s an adaptation of the classic novel “Pride and Prejudice” but set in modern day NYC,” said Laura Salvaggio, the head of the Theater Department at Utica University. “I like it because it reminds us that we can find beauty in people who may initially seem too different from ourselves to understand.”

Auditions are open to both Utica University students and the greater Utica community. Director Dennis J. Clark has requested that as many as possible try to come on the first night of auditions, so night two can be just a few leftover performers and then callbacks as needed. Night one auditionees will be notified ahead of time if they are needed at callbacks.

Those auditioning can perform any song that appropriately shows off their vocal skill, whether the song is from the show or not. An up-tempo contemporary comic song is suggested.

While specific song cuts from the show are suggested by Salvaggio and Clark, auditionees are allowed to bring their own music to use at auditions if they wish.

Once the cast is created and announced, rehearsals are slated to occur on Sundays, Mondays and Wednesdays. Rehearsals specifically for music will be held on Tuesdays following choir practice and Thursday nights.

The show dates for the musical are set for Nov. 3-5 at 7:30 p.m. with Nov. 6 being at 2 p.m. For those interested in auditioning for the musical, the audition form can be found at Utica.edu along with a link to where the script sides and songs from the show are located.

For those interested or needing any additional Information, feel free to reach out to the head of the theater department, Laura Salvaggio. She can be reached via email or at her office, which is located at L130 in the Gannet Library Concourse on campus.