MLB Regular Season Coming to an End; Reactions & Predictions for Upcoming Playoffs

Photo: Yahoo! Sports

After what has been an unprecedented time in the world, baseball restarted toward the end of July and what came after that was an experience like no other.

Baseball was bound to be different as a result of the pandemic. A bombardment of news guidelines and rules came rolling in that both the player and coaches had to become used to. They all had to find a way to make this the new normal.

Teams had to learn how to play the game of baseball while also being cautious of this virus. There were some bumps in the road, especially early on.

The prime example is when the Miami Marlins had an outbreak early on in the season when about half of the team had tested positive for the virus, halting their season at the moment. This also raised concern for the other teams and brought up the question of just how long can the MLB keep its season up.

Nick Ahles, a former student at Utica College and avid baseball fan, had his doubts when the news of these outbreaks first surfaced.

“I for sure thought it would have been canceled in like three weeks with all of the outbreaks,” he said. “MLB actually did a good job containing it.”

The MLB is one week away from the playoffs with multiple teams fighting for a spot. The Marlins and the league made it through the messy start and are looking ahead at the playoffs, the time of every professional sport season that truly matters.

This time period leads to lots of predictions from people in the sports world. This season has been so very different from other seasons that the predictions for this upcoming postseason are almost something you would have expected at the end of last year or even the beginning of this season.

Johnny Silvaggio, a senior here at the college, has his idea for what teams may be able to make a long run in the playoffs.

“I can see the Los Angeles Dodgers making another run at the championship this year,” he said. “I also can see teams like the Tampa Bay Rays or the Oakland Athletics making a run this year.”

While a name like the Dodgers being associated with the World Series is something that has become normal in these past few years, names like the Athletics and the Rays do come as a surprise.

Teams that most people do not give credit have made people turn heads. Teams like the Rays, White Sox, Padres and many more are making people take notice.

Ahles believes his two teams will be the final two standing but he also has his dark horse teams that might ruin everyone’s predictions.

“The Padres and the White Sox are really really good and can make a deep run,” he said. “I see a potential World Series matchup being something like the Dodgers vs Athletics.”

Again, the playoffs are soon and all MLB fans are ready for all the hits, strikeouts, and emotion that comes with it all.

“Playoffs are the best time of any season,” Silvaggio said. “I cannot wait.”