Utica Track and Field successful in first outdoor meet

A Utica University track and field athlete participates in a meet. Photo: uticapioneers.com

Jacob Pian, Staff Writer

Utica University’s track and field team successfully opened up the outdoor season on March 26 and many players made a mark in the standings and rankings.

Four Pioneers won their respective events, including Zuriel Wright, Billie Mays III, Jane Fahy and Justin Swavely.

Wright, a senior from Parlin, New Jersey, came in second place in men’s high jump clearing 1.90m. He also won the men’s long jump with a leap of 6.80m.

Rome native Mays III is a sophomore who took first place in men’s shot put with a toss of 13.69m and Fahy, who is a junior from Oriskany, won the women’s shot put event with a throw of 12.65m.

However, Swavely was the standout player of the day. The junior, also from Rome, took first place in the javelin throw with a score of 58.76m. This score marked second all-time in program history and ninth on the NCAA Division III national list.

It felt like the work I’ve been putting in over the past year was starting to pay off,” Swavely said. “ It was exciting to show out for our school, my team, and my track coach. Throwing it felt great but I know there’s a lot more to achieve this year.”

Other athletes who had a successful day were Nolan Flynn, a freshman from Bethel, Connecticut, and Jonathan Simmons, a junior from Broadalbin.

Flynn ended the day with a third place time of 11.20 in the 100m dash and a time of 22.76 in the 200m dash giving him sixth place for that event.

Simmons made his mark placing in third place with his time of 59.46 for the 400m hurdle event.

On the women’s side, junior Claudia Simione placed fifth in the 100m dash with her time of 13.19. She also ran the 200m dash with a time of 27.52, putting her in eighth place.

Graduate student Lauren Meade of Glenville finished in fourth place in the 400m hurdles with a time of 1:14:32 and also placed second for the long jump event with a leap of 5.03m.

Sophomore Jade Dening, from Rome, placed fifth in the women’s 1500m run with a time of 5:08.18. She was also part of the women’s 4x800m relay along with graduate student Sarah Sharpe of New York Mills, sophomore Noella Burlette of Manchester, Connecticut and freshman Kyla Reed of Lowville, which finished second and clocked in at 10:58.40. 

The teams will participate in more meets on April 7 and 8 at home.