UC falls to Stevens as seniors say farewell

Anthony Cittadino, Asstistant Copy Editor

The Utica College women’s basketball team hosted Stevens Institute of Technology in a heated conference match up Saturday afternoon. The Pioneers held their own in this one against the top team in the Empire 8 standings, but fell short, losing 69-61.

The evening started off with respect given to each of the three seniors for their final home game as Pioneers. Senior Christy Traglia tried to stay focused on the game at hand this past week.

“Practices were no different than they have been,” she said. “We’ve been focusing in on our defense. Typically looking to the next game and working on certain defenses depending on the team we are playing. We’ve been practicing our presses and doing some skill work too. It was kind of strange knowing that this is the last couple times that I, along with my fellow seniors, would be doing these drills.”

Senior Mary Miceli had a team-high 19 points. She said it was tough to play her final home game, but she thinks it will be even tougher after her final game this weekend.

“It hasn’t really hit me yet because we’ve got two more away games this upcoming weekend, but I’m sure it’ll be surreal after our last game knowing I won’t be stepping on the court as a Pioneer again,” she said.

Miceli has enjoyed her career as a Pioneer.

“There’s really no one memory that stands out the most, it’s more of a collection of memories,” she said. “I’ve met some of my best friends through this team and the memories we’ve made together are all my favorite.”

The third and final senior, Kelcei Edmonds, tried to stay positive about her final home game.

“Walking into the locker room after the game was weird because I knew I’d never do it again, but we do have two more games left so that helps with not getting too emotional about it,” she said.

The upperclassmen seemed focused on the game at hand. The first half ended with the Pioneers down 34-22. UC came out in the second half red-hot, scoring 23 in the third quarter. The sudden surge of scoring was not enough to lift the Pioneers past Stevens, as the Ducks took an eight-point victory.

Given the loss, Traglia had lifted spirits after her final home game.

“After our last home game, I felt grateful,” she said. “I’m grateful for the opportunity to play college basketball and to be a part of this program. I’m grateful to have the support to play a sport while attending school to get my doctorate degree.”

The result of this game puts UC at an overall record of 8-15 and a conference record of 3-11. The Pioneers will finish their regular season with a two game road trip this coming weekend at Ithaca and Nazareth College.

Featured Image; Christy Traglia attack the basketball for the Pioneers. Photo taken by Jeff Pexton