Player Profile: Cassandra McNitt

Ed Zakrzewski
Staff Writer

Cassandra McNitt has been a part of the Utica College women’s soccer team for only two seasons, but in that short time she gained the respect from her teammates and coaches.
McNitt transferred to Utica College her junior year after spending her first two years at SUNY Potsdam. During her time at SUNY Potsdam, she felt UC had more to offer her.
“I chose to transfer here because of the biology program and the pre-med track was more challenging and better suited for me than at Potsdam,” McNitt said.

September 25
Photo by ucpioneers.com

McNitt, from Ballston Lake, New York, graduated from Shenendehowa High School in 2012. Her mother has been a huge influence and role model for her so far in her life.
“My biggest role model is definitely my mom,” she said. “My mom is the most caring and selfless woman I know. She has supported every one of my dreams and has done all she could to make my dreams come true. She is a genuinely amazing women and I strive every day to follow in her footsteps.”
Even though McNitt has only known her new coach for a short time she has already learned to never give up, not be selfish, and give everything she has to her teammates.
“I feel like the most important thing my coach has taught me is to never give up in anything I do,” McNitt said. “In soccer she has shown us that we not only play for ourselves, but for everyone else on the team. If I give up, I am not only letting myself down but I let my whole team down as well.”
McNitt looks at her college career as a blessing. Going into her senior season she would not want to have spent her last two years anywhere else. The ultimate goal of a championship would make her college career end with a bang.
“These past four years have been an absolute blessing. I would not have wanted to spend my last two seasons of soccer anywhere else but at Utica College with my amazing team” McNitt said. “I have learned so much about not only soccer but about life and myself as well. Going out with a championship would be what we have worked so hard for. I would love nothing more than to see all of our hard work pay off.”
The team has become a second family to McNitt, and she would do anything for her teammates and she knows her teammates would do anything for her.
“I will miss how my soccer team was my family away from home. I would do anything for my teammates and I know they would do the same for me,” McNitt said. “We have each other’s back on and off the field and I am so grateful for my teammates.”
Her teammates have appreciated her work ethic and competiveness McNitt plays with day in and day out. The addition she has made to the team made an impact for only being on the team two years.
“She has been a good asset to our team. She works hard and is competitive,” senior Krystine Alvear said. “She has been able to play different roles on our team for only being here a short time.”
Looking back at her career McNitt has had the opportunity to make great memories, but only some of those moments really stick out for her. Her favorite moment was her junior year in a game against Alfred University where Utica College beat Alfred 4-1.
“My favorite moment would have to be our game against Alfred last year,” she said. “The way our team played and came out with a victory was an amazing experience. Everyone played so well and we had a connection on the field that day that no one could mess with.”