Women’s soccer impresses in weekend tournament

Andrew Mazzatti
Staff Writer

The Utica College women’s soccer team played two games this weekend at the SUNY Poly tournament. Coming off of a loss in a very tightly contested game against SUNY Brockport on Tuesday, the Pioneers looked to get their season back on track with a couple of wins on the weekend.

September 11
Photo by ucpioneers.com

Eileen Coyle earned her first win as head coach of the UC women›s soccer team on Friday, pulling a 2-0 result against Hilbert College. Last year’s leading goal scorer, Maddisen Melley, seamlessly transitioned into the new season by netting one goal in the first half for the Pioneers. Gabrielle Esposito capped off the scoring by putting home her first goal ever as a Pioneer. Utica outshot Hilbert 16-6, only needing two saves from their keeper, Kimberly Beattie, to earn the shutout.
Saturday brought even better fortune for the Pioneers as they shut out Medaille College 5-0. Five different players scored for the Pioneers as they improved to a 2-1 record on the season. Sara Kubera buried her first career goal for UC in the first half. It gave the Pioneers a lead which they would carry well into the second half.
The floodgates opened after a Ciara McIlvenney goal fifty-five minutes into the contest. Jenna Mazza, Abby Reilly, and Keri Berkowitz would follow up their teammates with a goal each. Again, UC earned the shutout with their stifling defense only allowing one shot on target.
UC outshot Medaille 32-1, with 18 of those shots going on frame.
The weekend seemed to be just what the team needed to get their season rolling. In the two games they played this weekend, the Pioneers outshot their opponents 48-7. With all of those shots came opportunities, which were capitalized on. UC netted an impressive seven goals, which came from seven different players.
The outpouring of offense from the Pioneers this weekend was not to be outdone by their defense. The back line for Utica only allowed three shots on goal the entire weekend, as well as only allowing a single goal scored in their first three games of play. The two wins this weekend improved the team to 2-1 on the season as they retake the pitch again Saturday to play Johnson and Wales University at the Hartwick Tournament