From being cut from modified softball to Utica College women’s lacrosse’s top scorer: Q&A with Lexi Scaccia

Lexi Scaccia scoring a goal. Photo courtesy of Laurel Simer.

Lexi Scaccia’s junior campaign for the Utica College women’s lacrosse team is off to a blistering start. She sits at exactly 50 points on the season (33G, 17A) with one game left in the regular season. Despite the point totals, Scaccia offers just as much to her life off the field, giving her motivation to be one of the college’s premier athletes this year. 

Q: Assuming you played lacrosse in high school, what other sports or clubs, if any, were you involved in? 

A: Growing up my sister, Sydney, and I played a variety of sports. Our parents always tried to keep us involved and active. From middle school to now, my sister and I have shared the love of two sports participating in both lacrosse and field hockey. It’s funny how I became involved in lacrosse actually. I was cut from the modified softball team in the 7th grade and my friend, who also had been cut, called me and said let’s play lacrosse. That very same day my dad took me to Olympia Sports and bought me my very first lacrosse stick. Every day since my love has grown for the game.

Recent Posts

Q: What is your earliest memory of lacrosse and what influenced you to get into the sport? 

A: My earliest memory of lacrosse was the same day I had gotten my first stick. My dad took me out to our front yard and played catch with me for hours. From teaching me how to cradle to becoming the player I am today, my dad has taught me everything I know about the game. He has had the biggest influence on my growth as a player altogether. 

Q: What led to the decision to make Utica College your home for academics and lacrosse? 

A: I knew playing collegiate lacrosse was definite, I just was unsure where. My decision to come to Utica College was mainly based on my sister’s choices. I knew I wanted to keep playing sports beside her so I based my decision on her. From the first time walking on campus, I knew Utica College would be my home. My older sister, Sydney, had chosen to come to UC a year earlier and I saw how much she loved it. Her experiences solidified my choice. 

Photo courtesy of Laurel Simer.

Q: What do you major in? What are your plans after graduation? 

A: I am currently majoring in Nursing. I am not sure what I will be doing in the future as I am still trying to figure out my specialty. I hope to be practicing nursing. 

Q: From your first season to now, what has changed the most in your game? 

A: A lot has changed since freshman year. High school lacrosse is not even comparable to collegiate lacrosse. It is a huge adjustment. The level of play increases so everyone has to adapt. As a player, my game has changed so much. I am much more confident in myself on the field, but I still have so much to learn and improve upon. I do not necessarily think the way I play the game has changed, I have just gained skill and increased my lacrosse IQ. (Lacrosse IQ is what we call our awareness on the field and knowledge of the game). 

Q: You have 50 points so far this season and you recently reached 100 total as a Pioneer. How are you feeling up to this point? 

A: A point from me is really just a point from Utica College. At the end of the day, it does not really matter who scores the goals as long as we are working together as a team that is what matters. Points mean nothing if we are not ultimately winning the game. Everyone contributes to a win, not just the people who score out points on that given day. 

Q: Looking at the team, what do you as a team need to do to keep up the momentum you have gained recently?

A: We have been learning more about one another. The beginning of the year is always an adjustment. From year to year, the new personalities that come in have a big contribution to our outcomes later in the season. Lately, our team has been working harder than ever and we are taking it one game at a time and hoping to improve each game.