Sexual violence prevention grant reinstated and new Title IX coordinator named

New Title IX Coordinator Ann Ciancia presenting at the Swiftposium Conference at the University of Melbourne. / Photo courtesy of Ann Ciancia.

CLARIFICATION: The headline and some information in this story was edited to clarify what was originally published in the March 29 issue of The Tangerine. New Title IX Coordinator Ann Ciancia does not oversee the Office of Victim Advocacy and Violence Prevention Initiative grant at Utica University. Though she works in tandem with Mathew Vincent, director of Victim Advocacy and Violence Prevention Initiatives, their offices are separate operations. 

On March 1, Ann Ciancia officially took on the role of Utica University’s new Title IX Coordinator, following the departure of Lisa Green. According to Ciancia, the position has been one she’s wanted for quite some time. 

Ciancia, who graduated from Utica University in 2018, has experience in the field of sexual violence research and prevention, recently presenting her findings at the University of Melborne at the Swiftposium Conference. She said Title IX is an important issue for her and was a Title IX coordinator previously at another institution.

“Sexual assault prevention has always been a passion of mine. It was why I changed my career path to go to law school, I want to help survivors of sexual violence,” Ciancia said. “Title IX provides a due equitable process for both parties, and our goal is to end sexual violence.”

Another recent development involving Title IX regulation on campus is the re-acquisition of the Office of Victim Advocacy and Violence Prevention Initiative grant, formerly known to some Utica University students as Safe Trax. The grant was reinstated in October 2023.

“Myself, Mathew Vincent, Marissa Finch, Ariel Rios, Bethany VanBenschoten, Shad Crowe, and Jay LaFayette all went to Louisville, Kentucky for a week-long training for the grant over spring break,” Ciancia said.

Director of Victim Advocacy and Violence Prevention Initiatives Mathew Vincent said students should not expect a return of the name “Safe Trax,” due to the change in staff that run the program. 

“The biggest reason is because my role is different from the previous director of the program,” Vincent said. “I am a mandated reporter, so if someone on campus wanted to confide in me that they have experienced sexual or dating violence, I would need to report it to our Title IX Coordinator.” 

Originally, Utica University held the grant, but lost it due to the competitive nature of applying for and receiving federal funding, Vincent said. 

“Out of the 100 applications [the Office of Victim Advocacy and Violence Prevention] received, only 41 were funded,” Vincent said. “Amy Lindner and Wendy Lockwood did a really remarkable job at making sure we had the best application possible.”

According to Vincent, the program will provide comprehensive sexual violence prevention and bystander training to students and staff, in addition to instituting the Green Dot and Twelve Men programs. 

“The overall goal of this program across the nation is to create sustainable and systematic changes on college campuses,” Vincent said. “We want to make it easier for members of our community to access the resources they need if they have been impacted by domestic, dating, and sexual violence or stalking.”

For more information, contact Title IX Coordinator Ann Ciancia ([email protected]) or  Director of Victim Advocacy and Violence Prevention Initiatives Mathew Vincent ([email protected]). Confidential resources for students include the Health and Wellness Center counselors, Project Manager of Student Life Bethany VanBenschoten ([email protected]), and YWCA Campus Advocate Bridget Brezinsky ([email protected]).