Utica University welcomes 61 international students this semester

Many of Utica University’s international students gather for a photo at the international students’ reception on Jan. 22, which welcomed students new this semester and those who joined the campus in August. /Photo courtesy of the Utica University Facebook page.

The evening of Jan. 22 was filled with warm smiles and laughter as Utica University welcomed 61 new international students from over 29 countries for the spring 2024 semester. 

Throughout the event new and familiar faces socialized and shared their backgrounds and aspirations with each other. The university already was home to international students who were enrolled in programs, ranging from one to four years. More than 160 international students will reside on campus this semester. 

“Everyone is very welcoming,” said Syamimi Anura, a student from Malaysia. “It has been pleasant to hear people ask how my day was and see them hold the door open for me.”

Being thousands of miles away from home, the transition of moving to a different country has its challenges such as adjusting to new customs and homesickness. However, there are ways to support those struggling and  help them feel more comfortable.

“Inviting new students to events and getting them involved on campus is a great way to increase engagement,” said Elizabeth Nassar, director of Academic Business Development. “As well as being open to their culture and values.”

The integration of traditions, values and knowledge between the international students and the Utica community can have a formative impact on individuals personal and professional growth. International students shared their ideas on ways that they could be more immersed in American culture. 

“I think having families that would invite international students over for holidays and dinners would be a great way to experience the culture out here and for support,” said Vernon Dcunha, a student from India.

Manager of international education Alison Ricci-Wadas said she wants international students to have a great experience and “know that we are here for them.”

The evening concluded with remarks  from President Todd Pfannestiel and Interim Provost Stephanie Nesbitt, affirming their support through the students’ experience abroad.  

“We cannot express how happy we are to have you here on campus,” Nesbitt said.