UC transfers classes to online learning due to coronavirus fears

Graphic by Maria Montero Silva

On-ground classes at Utica College will transfer into an online version starting after spring break on March 23 amid fears of coronavirus spreading to the UC community, President Laura Casamento announced in an email today. On-ground classes will resume April 13 and the college will evaluate further proceedings closer to that date.

The administration “strongly” encourages residential students to stay on campus. Commuter students are also advised to remain in the area during this time and will be able to access campus resources “to facilitate their online studies.”

For those staying on campus, residence halls and dining options will be open, the memo stated, and student employment will continue.

The email said students leaving the region during spring break must notify the college about their travel plans by Friday, March 13. 

Students who travel during spring break will not be allowed back on campus until Sunday, April 12. The college will monitor access into buildings through swipe card system and ID access will be suspended until on-ground classes resume. The college recommended students going home to take all textbooks and course materials with them.

While faculty and staff will be permitted to travel on and off campus, they are recommended to communicate with Emergency Management, the email stated.

The college will remain open during this time and will work as usual. 

The Commencement ceremony is still planned to take place on May 15.