Women’s hockey dominates SUNY Potsdam

Womens hockey dominates SUNY Potsdam

Anthony Cittadino, Sports Editor

The Utica College women’s hockey team extended its win streak to three after a win over SUNY Potsdam Saturday afternoon. The Pioneers won 6-1 in this ECAC West matchup which brings their record up to 3-2.

UC started off a little shaky in the first period giving up the games first goal to Potsdam’s Anna-Rose Bertin with two minutes left in the period.

The Pioneers would come back to life early in the second period to tie the game with a power-play goal scored by junior Meghan Power and assisted by senior Jane Pagano and junior Samantha Husak.

Not even a minute later, UC netted the go-ahead goal thanks to senior Emily Coope. This was Coope’s first goal of the season and was assisted by freshman Olivia Hirschy and Power. This was all of the action in the second period and the Pioneers had no intention of looking back.

The final period of play was all UC. Pagano opened up the scoring in third period almost eight minutes in to make the score 3-1. This was Pagano’s second goal of the year.

Just over a minute later, the Pioneers struck on a power-play opportunity, scored by Hirschy. On the following power-play, sophomore Kayla Dion sniped the fifth goal of the game from nearly the blue line. Scoring for the Pioneers ended with a goal from junior, Taylor Osowski for her first goal of the year.

Goal keeper, Kiera Goin had another spectacular game only giving up one goal on 23 saves.

This Pioneer team has a promising season ahead of them. UC will return to action tomorrow in Potsdam at 4 p.m.