UC to host Farewell Party for Hutton

Matt Rogers, Co-Editor-in-chief

Todd Hutton has made numerous improvements to benefit students during his 18-year tenure as president of Utica College. Now, students will get their chance to say thank you.

The latest stop on the Todd Hutton farewell tour will take place this Monday, April 18, in Strebel Student Center from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. The student-farewell party will pay tribute to Hutton, as well as his wife, Jennifer.

Director of Student Activities Joe Gutowski was tasked with helping to arrange the party, and immediately met with students to find the best way to organize it.

“I was able to tap into a small, diverse group of students that served as a brainstorm platform when discussing ideas for Dr. Hutton’s party,” Gutowski said. “Most of what’s come out of the planning process has been the direct result of student input.”

Campus-wide emails have been sent out in the previous weeks notifying students of the event. They were given an opportunity to write a note or submit a photo to be a part of a memory book that will be given to Hutton. The deadline for submissions was April 11, but students who attend the event will have a chance to handwrite a note for Hutton.

“We’re happy with the memory book concept,” Gutowski said. “Obviously, you always want to have more, and there will be opportunities for students to write their own memories and notes to Dr. Hutton at the event.”

Gutowski also noted that there will be special edition t-shirts to commemorate Hutton’s presidency, and WPNR will provide music for the event.

Hutton announced last March that he would retire effectively Aug. 1, 2016. Since then, he and his wife have received a great deal of recognition. As the semester comes to a close, and Hutton nears his official retirement, a number of on and off-campus organizations plan on recognizing his accomplishments.

While these events are designed to show gratitude to Hutton, he said he uses these kinds of events to turn the tables and show his thanks to the different constituencies of the college community.

“I am greatly moved by the appreciation that people are showing Mrs. Hutton and me, and a bit embarrassed by the attention,” Hutton said. “However, this is also a time for me to express my deepest gratitude to students, faculty, staff, alumni and trustees for allowing me to serve the UC community over these many years.”