Campus Safety prepares for Heart Run & Walk

Malik Gayle, Staff Writer

This Saturday, an estimated 10,000 people are converging on Utica College for the annual America’s Greatest Heart Run & Walk. With the Heart Run & Walk being the biggest event on campus; what goes into making sure that all 10,000 people have a happy and safe Heart Run & Walk?

Utica College’s Campus Safety Director Wayne Sullivan has the answers.

“Heart Run is one of the most demanding weekends for us,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan noted that Campus Safety starts planning for next year’s Heart Run & Walk, as early as mid-April. Decisions are made to shuttle bus patterns being affected by the construction of the Welcome Center and making sure Campus Safety is present where alcohol is being served.

Sullivan mentioned the fact this year’s Heart Run involved more preparations than other years to make sure Campus Safety is ready for emergencies. With Sullivan heading to the Oneida County Emergency Management Services where they simulated emergency situations that could possibly happen at the Heart Run, ranging from someone having a heart attack to an active shooter.

Sullivan also noted that the local Utica and New Hartford police departments are prepared as well, with Campus Safety giving both Utica and EMS several tours during the last several months.

“Pay attention to the weather conditions are going to be and dress appropriately,” Sullivan said when asked for tips on how to have an enjoyable heart run “Always be aware of your surroundings and what going on around you.”

While it’s a heavy workload for Director Sullivan and his staff. He still believes it’s an amazing event worth going to.

“It’s a great event, people really enjoy it[…] Get involved, brings family members and friends to get involved. “

The event has been held at Utica College for nineteen consecutive years and is national recognized by the National Heath Association (NHA). The goal of the event is to raise more than $1 million for the NHA. With no requirements to join Heart Run & Walk,

For more information on the Heart Run & Walk and how to donate, go to http://www.utica.edu/heartrun.