Career Services to host networking nights

Bria Hilliard

Asst. Features Editor

Connections can be the jumpstart any college student may need after walking across the graduation stage.

College students often hear how important it is to keep in touch with alumni or other important people they meet because of the benefits those relationships can have. Landing that dream job can become a lot easier when they have someone in the field to provide guidance. That is what networking is about, making those connections to get connected.

Career Services is hosting a series of networking nights for a variety of majors including Accounting, Biology and Chemistry, Management, Non-Clinical Health, and Communication Arts, Public Relations, and Journalism. Students will meet with 5-6 employers in the Carbone Auditorium.

Students will learn more about companies and possible careers, as well as internships. The series will end on Monday, Nov. 9, with Communication Arts, Public Relations, and Journalism.

“Networking is essential for thriving in the world we live in,” senior Opeyemi Ogunwomoju said. “Many of the jobs that are out there are achieved through networking. In order to be heard we have to put our name out there.”

Utica College is making it easier for students to reach out to alumni by bringing alumni to campus. These alumni are willing and more than likely have the ability to help students gain the skills and tools they need to excel in their fields of study.

Many students often worry about what will happen after college and find themselves in a panic when senior year rolls around. Luckily for students all they have to do is show up to these events, business cards and résumé in hand, ready to make those connections.

A bonus to making these connections is the simple fact that students have one very important thing in common with these alumni – Utica College.

These alumni know what it is like to walk the halls and paths of UC the same way current students do every day. Many of these alumni find mentorship important, especially when these students are what companies are looking for.

“Networking. It’s the word you love to hate,” Employer Relations Coordinator/Career Counselor Sarah Garramone said. “We want to show you that networking doesn’t have to be boring or intimidating – it can even be fun! Having a flawless resume is only the first step to landing a job. Forming and maintaining authentic connections is the underutilized secret to job search success.”

Building up the courage to reach out for these connections can be traumatizing because sometimes students just do not know the right approach. Career Services is the best place to go when students need the extra boost of confidence by simply making their resume or networking skills stronger. Communication is always key when trying to land that dream job.

The networking night held by Career Services is a smart way to opening up new doors for life after graduation. It is perfectly normal to feel unsure about what to do when applying for jobs and that is what these networking nights are meant to do – break the tension.

The networking series kicks off Monday, Oct. 5, for accounting majors in the Carbone Auditorium from 5:30-7 p.m.