Local Diner Profile: Fresh butter and good vibes at The Compound

Photo from Alexandria Leland.

Anna and Sharrone Sofer opened The Compound, a butter and grilled cheese-centered shop in the heart of the Village of Clinton last November. 

Their journey began in Austin, Texas where Sharrone, the grilled cheese connoisseur, struggled to find the perfect flavoring of butter to cook with. His wife, Anna, just so happened to have a passion for actually making homemade butter. The couple teamed up and eventually began selling their homemade, flavored butter and grilled cheese at local farmers’ markets in Austin prior to making the move to Upstate New York.

Since living in Clinton, the wave of the COVID-19 pandemic swept through and unfortunately took the life of Sharrone’s father. He used his inheritance from his father’s passing and made the couple’s butter and grilled cheese dreams come true. 

Recent Posts

The Sofer’s were now in a position to be able to share their fresh butter and good vibes with the rest of us at The Compound.

The time and creativity put into the flavored butter and sandwiches set this place apart from others. From predictable flavors such as everything bagel, cinnamon and garlic and herb, to fruity pebbles, butterbeer, buffalo and bleu and matcha butter. 

Aside from making homemade butter and grilled cheese sandwiches, The Compound is also known for its high tea experience. This consists of all-you-can-eat carbs, loaded with butter while sipping on tea. 

The Compound often has either a daily or weekly special grilled cheese or butter flavor. Some recently include, “The Claw,” which was essentially a lobster and crab-based grilled cheese and, “The Wig,” filled with house-made spinach, bacon and a roasted garlic dip on Heidelberg bread. 

“Local staples here have been doing the same old things and we really enjoy trying something new all the time,” Sharrone said. “We recently started doing Sunday brunch by reservation only, but it’s been going so well that we are going to begin hosting it by counter service just like we do the rest of the week.”

The couple has also made giving back to the community a priority, noting that the arts and the homeless community are especially close to their hearts. They also enjoy trying every local bread and cheese in town.

Photo from Alexandria Leland, Art from Mandi Drake.

“We try to say yes to as many people as we can,” Sharrone said. “We also love direct giving so that we can see exactly how our money is being used. For Christmas, we donated 200 meals to the homeless.”