COVID-19 vaccination clinic a success at Utica College

Photo from Alexandria Leland.

Approximately 240 members of the UC community received the COVID-19 vaccine on March 11. With little notice, the college community responded quickly when the opportunity arose to provide immunizations. 

Pharmacists from Walgreens administered the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in the Strebel Student Lounge from noon to 5 p.m. Utica College employees, faculty, staff, auxiliary services employees and students employees were eligible under New York State health regulations. 

“Several other institutions were offered the same opportunity but we’re not able to move as quickly as we were to set up a point of distribution,” Vice President for Emergency Management Shad Crowe said. 

Many people took advantage of the opportunity to fight back against COVID-19. While some looked nervous, smile lines accented mask-covered faces as EMTs stood by. 

“The people there were super sweet and helpful,” said Alec Pease, a construction management major.

Reasons for getting the vaccine vary across the board, but the common thread is that everyone is just trying to look out for each other. 

“I live with two people that are immunocompromised so if I can do that, then one out of three of us are vaccinated, then it’s less likely I’m going to bring it home to them,” Pease said. 

UC community members are a part of the current 12% population in the U.S. that are vaccinated. 

“We hope to have an opportunity like this again in the near future. However, any opportunity will be based on vaccine supply and distribution by both the federal and state governments,” Crowe said.