Movie theaters reopened at limited capacity last month, some students wary of returning just yet

Photo: Getty Images

As of Oct. 23, movie theaters are back in business and while many students are excited about the chance to watch films on the big screen after months of viewing movies at home, they are also a bit apprehensive since COVID-19 cases are spiking in the local area.

Even though the theaters are reopening at limited capacity, Senior Crystal Santiago said it is too early to partake in theater viewing because the holidays are approaching and you might come in contact with people who have traveled from outside the area. 

Santiago missed going to movie theaters during COVID-19 pandemic. She would usually go to them with friends and family and might go soon if there is a low chance of exposure. 

“If we keep wearing our masks and social distanced, then we should be fine and excited about this opportunity,” Santiago said. 

Sophomore Jaydy Hernandez would like to go to a movie theater near her home in New York City when possible. However, she is fearful that it might be too soon to reopen due to an increase in COVID-19 cases. 

“We should probably hold off until things cool back down,” Hernandez said. 

While movie theaters were closed due to the coronavirus. Hernandez would watch movies on demand and look for the free movies since she was watching more TV shows, such as Chicago PD, Blacklist, Investigation Discovery and Cooking Channel programs. 

“When not on TV, I would then use YouTube or Netflix for watching movies,” Hernandez said. 

UC also offers a film series every semester for any member of the campus community, continued this semester by Associate Professor of Communication Jeff Miller.

Miller teaches a film class at the college and is director of FILM@UC, which would normally allow members of the public to come and watch a diverse selection of movies on campus. 

“We had no choice but to close the fall film series to the public,” Miller said. “Students, faculty and staff are able to attend for free.”

Miller’s film class, The Motion Picture, is available every semester for any UC student as a one-credit course. Coronavirus restrictions in place this semester changed Miller’s experiences with the film class, which is a sad experience for him. 

“Seating was limited due to social distancing and sadly I never got to see any of my students’ faces from the eyes down because of our masks,” Miller said. “I derive so much joy from sharing the films with students and encouraging them to think deeply about what the films mean to them. For the first time in my long teaching career I feel that I barely came to know any of my students.” 

Since COVID-19 restrictions will still be in place for the spring semester, Miller’s class will be set up the same way. Click here for more information.