SLCE’s new Hero Raffle, plans to host events going forward

Photo: Sidney Domroes

The Student Living and College Engagement office, otherwise known as SLCE, has been working to ensure students wear their masks properly and social distance. One way in which they have promoted the correct wearing of a mask is by holding the Hero Raffle. 

Past semesters have encompassed many events and extracurriculars to get students involved on campus. This year due to a COVID-19 centralized school year, offices of organizational planning have had to change the ways in which students are allowed to gather because of safety guidelines.

“The Hero Raffle is our way of saying thank you to community members who are wearing their masks appropriately and are actively helping us to keep the UC community safe,” Assistant Director for College Engagement, Jason Francey said.

A simple thank you to those who are keeping the UC community safe is offered through the nominations distributed by staff and students alike, via business-like cards. 

“There are a selection of staff and students that have a pile of thank you cards,” Francey said. “If they catch you with a mask on properly and adhering to social distancing guidelines, they might give you a thank you card to then bring to me to redeem for a ticket.” 

Any student is eligible to receive a card but the September raffle has been completed. According to Francey, the campaign did not result in a turnout that the office had hoped for. 

Close to 50 students redeemed their cards this month. Although this may be the case, students and the SLCE office alike haven’t heard of much progress on the initiative since then.

“I’m not really sure if anything is happening with it at the moment,” Senior Lindsay Rasmussen said. “I think the campaign has turned into just handing out t-shirts and making people aware of the importance of face coverings, which, in terms of residential life, seems to already be driven home since students can be placed in online learning after too many mask violations.”

More COVID-19 safe events are in the process of being completed and students will have more opportunities to interact with their peers in a safe manner. According to Francey, both the SLCE office and student organizations have a packed month of events in October.

The process of brainstorming new ideas that promote safety with students is a priority. With the presence of creativity, individuals are bound to propose many new ideas that are feasible in light of COVID-19.