Students allowed to gather belongings from residence halls

Photo by Maria Montero Silva

Residential students came back to campus one month after its closure on March 23. Starting on April 19 and until May 9, they are making a two-hour stop to retrieve their belongings from the residence halls.

Checkout times to return keys and gather belongings are capped at four residents per building per time slot. Students should not pick out a move out time if someone else in their assigned living space is already moving out during that time. Students were also told that only one or two people could be helping each student. 

Students can drop off their keys in a lockbox in the lobby of each residence hall.

Executive Director for Student Living and College Engagement Scott Nonemaker explained that all students who need to come back are required to have selected a time slot and will not be permitted on campus unless it is their time. 

“All students are required to wear masks and gloves as well as following social distancing protocols,” Nonemaker said. “We expect our students to be honest about their health and stay away if they are feeling ill or have been in contact with someone who is ill.”

Marissa Finch, assistant director for Student Living, said the college is eagerly hoping to return to on-ground classes in the fall and it needs to start cleaning and doing some other repairs while providing the students with a safe process.

Sad faces on the Utica College campus as students came back to retrieve their belongings from the residence halls. Photo by Maria Montero Silva

The SLCE office is also prepared to help students if they cannot return to campus to gather their belongings. Some of the options for these students would be having someone else come and pack for them, having a friend package items and store them at the college or having staff members in the SLCE office package belongings and store them.

Senior Ryan McCauley is a resident assistant in Alumni Hall. Before leaving for spring break, he took all of his belongings and advised his residents to do the same.

However, most of his residents did not.

“I still have a microwave and lamp there, which I’ll likely donate to the next RA,” McCauley said.

Bell resident Lyn Okoth said she must return to campus to gather her belongings and drop off her keys, but has not signed up for a time to do so. She said she would probably bring her mom to help her.

“It was so disorganized,” Okoth said. “If I knew school was online for the rest of the year, I would’ve gotten all my stuff.”