Winter Sports Preview

Source%3A+ucpioneers.com
Source: ucpioneers.com

Men’s Basketball: Last Season – Overall 14-11- Conference 8-8

Hunter Remley, a senior on the men’s basketball team, has expectancy for the team to do well this year.

The team goal has remained the same. They hope to make playoffs and win an Empire 8 championship for the first time ever in program history. 

“The team is looking good; we just scrimmaged Potsdam and beat them,” Remley said. “We open with our first game at Westfield State University.” 

The team’s next game is Nov. 15.

Men’s Hockey: Last Season – Overall 20-7-2 – Conference 14-3-1 

The men’s hockey team swept their first weekend away against Manhattanville College and Neumann University. The team’s record as of right now is 2-0-1. 

Last year, the Pioneers went to the United Collegiate Hockey Conference Final but lost against Manhattanville. 

Connor Landrigon, a senior on the team, has the hope to return to the conference championship and win this year. 

“We want to make a push into the national tournament,” Landrigon said. “We want to show the country what we’re capable of.” 

The team’s goal remains to win a conference championship, along with winning the regular season, and securing home ice for playoffs. 

They play Nazareth College on Nov. 15.

Women’s Ice Hockey: Last season – Overall – 16-9-1 – Conference – 11-6-1

The team started their season early this October with a road trip of three games in Toronto, Canada. Since then, they have played one regular season game against Morrisville State University. 

Sophomore Georgie Santullo has high hopes for the team this year. 

“My hopes for this season is that our team can continue to grow and become better everyday,” Santullo said. “We work hard to build chemistry not only on but off the ice as well.”

The team this year has a majority of underclassmen. Santullo said that even with such a young team, she believes they are able to push each other and improve.

The ultimate goal for the team this season is to win the UCHC conference title and advance to the NCAAs. They are all working to achieve this goal by focusing on creating good habits in each game they play.

“As a team, we are especially looking to battle hard in every conference matchup and be a tough team to play against,” said Santullo.

Next time out will be Nov. 15 at King’s College in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. 

Women’s Swim & Dive: Last season – Overall – 6-8

They have had two meets so far this season. According to Daniela Hannah, a senior on the team, Utica has a goal to grow as a team. 

“Our coach was pleased with our times so far and we have until February  until our Championship meet,” Hannah said. “Lots of time for improvement.”

One of her personal hopes is to grow closer with the freshman class on the team. Hannah said she considers the role they play for the future of the team.

Men’s Swim & Dive: Last Season – 7-6 

Compared to other sports, the swim and dive team has one of the longest seasons spanning from September to February. 

Senior Sean Neary focuses on strength and conditioning during such a long season. All this work is for their championship meet at the end of the season.

“Currently, our team is looking strong,” he said. “We are happy to be integrating the freshman and learn each other’s strengths.”

The goal is to get better as the year progresses. The team will be traveling to Miami in January for spring training.