Local Restaurant Review

Photo by Gianna Cognetti.

Pig out at Piggy’s Pat’s Southern Style Restaurant

Local restaurants that display good quality, uniqueness and provide affordable prices are sometimes difficult to find. Chain restaurants can get boring after a while and higher end restaurants are just too pricey for a night out with friends. However, Piggy Pat’s Smoke and Ale House is what casual dinner with friends and family should be.

Piggy Pat’s is a Southern Style BBQ restaurant located on 3955 Edgebrook Place in Washington Mills, approximately 10 minutes away from Utica College. They are open Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Despite the odd, yet humorous name, this restaurant has everything from live musical entertainment, great southern style food and reasonable prices. 

Walking into Piggy Pat’s, the decor and display of the restaurant gives off a southern atmosphere vibe. There are booths, tables and a bar. The walls are filled with funny quotes relating to the southern theme they portray.  

The staff is great, just what people look for during a night out. Everyone was polite, accommodating and prompt.  

The menu is filled with many choices of southern style food and the portions are sized to perfection. They have appetizers ranging from nachos to wing dip all the way to the typical southern style dinners, such as ribs, fried chicken, Texas sausage, salads, seafood, burgers and sandwiches. 

The hush puppies, which are deep fried cornbread with a home-made maple butter, were warm and perfect to share with the table before the entrees were presented. They were not too filling, yet were just enough to tie the crowd over for a while.  

The entrees arrived in the perfect amount of time, not too early to where the appetizers were not finished, but not too late to where everyone was waiting around.

All dinner options are served with two sides. The baby back ribs, with a salad and a side of baked mac and cheese, was better than any chain restaurant out there. It cannot even compare to a Texas Roadhouse. The meat was very tender as the sweet and salty flavors burst with the first bite. The mac and cheese was the perfect amount of creamy and crispy.  

There was plenty of food and the meal was less than $20. Compared to spending $15 at Panera Bread for a small soup and salad, Piggy Pat’s is worth the price.

Piggy Pat’s is also known for their weekly entertainment. Whether it is to watch sports games on their one of many televisions or listen to live performances, Piggy Pat’s has multiple entertainment choices.

Live performances such as singers, guitarists, fiddlers and pianists are usually held during the week. Sports games are usually rallied around at the bar on weekends.  

If you are looking for a different place to dine, Piggy Pat’s is the place to be. It is family friendly-oriented, the food is amazing and the prices are unbeatable.