Public Relations/Journalism Alumna Publishes Second Book

“Southern Adirondack Foothills Fishing, Hunting, and Trapping” by Megan Plete Postol book cover.

Utica College alumna Megan Plete Postol published her latest book called “Southern Adirondack Foothills Fishing, Hunting and Trapping.”

Postol was raised in the Southern Adirondack Foothills and grew up doing a lot of outdoor activities with her family such as hunting and fishing.

The author said the book is special to her because it records a lot of the stories and images from outdoorsmen and women in her neck of the woods. 

It also includes a less-often explored portion of the Adirondacks history.

“I have always been interested in local history, conservation and the Adirondacks,” Postol said. “This book was a way for me to incorporate a small section of the Southern Adirondack region’s history and combine a few of my passions. I love the Adirondacks, it is a beautiful region and every season is distinctly different.”

After transferring from Herkimer County Community College as a junior, Postol graduated from Utica College in 2016 with a degree in public relations and journalism. She was also a member of the Tangerine throughout her time at UC, which she said was her favorite part of her college experience. Since graduating, Postol has used her degree in a number of ways.  

“I have worked at a weekly newspaper, promotions and event planning agency,” she said. “I have also done freelance writing for newspapers, magazines and online blogs in the outdoor industry.”

Postol always loved writing, as she has proven. When she was younger, she used to keep notebooks filled with stories and poems. Now she is focusing on her newspaper column and freelance writing.

“This is just the adult expression of the same inner yearning,” she said.

When it comes to her new book, she said she wrote it to capture the stories of the region she grew up in and the people who inhabit it.

Postol said she is relieved now that her book is published and available to readers. It was a huge project for her to get published, she said.

“From pitching to the publisher, research, interviews, content gathering, verifying information, writing the manuscript and editing, it can be a beast to do all of this work,” she said. “[But] I have been enjoying making appearances, doing book signings and presentations.”

When it comes to any event she goes to, Postal said she loves it when people share a connection from the book with her.

“The connections they find in the book or something that was mentioned that they remember; it brings it all together,” she said. “Moments like that are why I do what I do.”

Postol said her book appeals to people who have an interest in the Adirondacks and outdoor sports such as fishing, camping and hunting.

For anyone interested in a new book to read, Postol’s book is available to purchase from Amazon, Arcadia Publishing and Barnes and Noble.

“I am thankful for having the opportunity to have my book published,” she said. “It feels great to have it published. Someday I will write another book, perhaps.”