Working with or Becoming a Tutor

Photo by Emmalyn Ylaya.

Utica College offers many different tutoring opportunities for students who may need help with a class. From online, drop-in, professional, group or one-on-one tutoring, students are able to choose which one they prefer.

Peer tutoring is an option for students to get a job on campus.

Sophomore Mackenzie Good is a management and marketing tutor who loves helping students succeed and seeing them improve.

“My favorite part about tutoring is seeing the light bulb go off when students understand a concept they were previously confused about,” Good said. “I recommend that students bring all their course material that could help them at tutoring sessions.”

Junior Malina Rivera is a former mathematics tutor. She enjoyed tutoring because the sessions were engaging for her.

“I felt amazing that I was able to help others who were struggling in math,” Rivera said. “I was able to make friends and develop more interpersonal skills. During tutor sessions, I made them as fun as possible to keep students engaged and happy to be learning about math.”

Peer tutors are asked to wait fifteen minutes for the student. If the tutee does not arrive within the first fifteen minutes of the session, the tutor must cancel the session. If students cancel often, they will lose their tutor for the semester. Students must contact their tutor if they need to cancel a session.

Students can use the library’s drop-in tutor section, which is a way for student’s to get help without an appointment.

Junior Madeline Behan is a tutor for the Writing Center. Her job is to assist students with any type of writing formats, such as essays and stories.

“The Writing Center feels like a good place to get extra help with writing,” Behan said. “Working there feels like a study hall until people come for assistance.”

Peer tutors need to earn a B or higher in the course they would like to tutor.

Kevin Alexander is the new Tutorial Services Director this semester. After being trained on the system, he is grateful for what Kimberly Etman and Dawn Cittadino-Santiago, the past tutorial directors, have done to help make his transition as seamless as possible.

“The job has given me a great opportunity to learn more about the college’s rigorous academic offerings and to interact with faculty and staff on a regular basis,” Alexander said.

One tool that students use for online tutoring is Smarthinking. Alexander said online students and upperclassmen tend to use this tool more.

“Smarthinking is a great tool that I would encourage students to try if they have never used it,” Alexander said. “Whether you want to submit an essay or have a session with a professional tutor, it is available for all Utica College students to use anytime.”

Alexander has some advice for all tutees and tutors.

“I recommend that tutees take an active role in making sure that each session is as effective and efficient as possible,” Alexander said. “I extend my appreciation to peer tutors for their willingness to share their understanding with other students because they provide an invaluable resource. I would recommend they continue to explore their passions and career paths as they shine through the ethos of their work as a peer tutor.”
If students want to request a tutor or become a tutor, they can go to utica.edu/directory/center-student-success/tutoring for details and contact information.