Gannett Library Meets Variety of Needs for Students and Staff

Photo by Emmalyn Ylaya.

A large number of Utica College students come to the library at different times everyday. Some of them come to have a quiet place for doing school work while others use campus technology, work with tutors or borrow items.

The Frank E. Gannett Memorial Library is one of Utica College’s three-story buildings that includes its main floor, a top floor used as a quiet zone and the Library Concourse. This building is located in the middle of the campus across from Rocco E. DePerno Hall.

Sophomore Mark Gallo uses the library daily.

“I use it after my first class everyday to do homework for classes I have later on in the day, or within the next few days,” Gallo said. “It is nice to go into a study room and have a whole room to yourself or with a group of friends to do work.”

Gallo offered advice for students about spending time with friends at the library.

“Our library is a place where you can go to get work done, but you have to stay focused,” Gallo said. “I would say do not go with your friends because you guys together will not get any work done.”

Gallo has opinions about the library computer use.

“I think there should be more computers upstairs because all of the computers are usually taken by the time I get there,” Gallo said. “I would prefer to use a computer in the library, that way I am not interrupted by a class coming in to use the computer lab.”

The library includes many resources for students such as books, printers, copiers, study rooms and drop-in tutorings. When students want to borrow library items or reserve study rooms, they must present their ID.

Sophomore Ann Muzzy is one student who works in the library. She loves the job because it is an easy-going atmosphere for her.

“While working, I get to accomplish some school work along with some work experience,” Muzzy said. “Both of my bosses and the patrons are extremely nice. They even give out bags at the end of the semester around finals that are filled with stuff to help destress or snack on.”

Muzzy said that the most checked-out items are, surprisingly, not books.

“There are not many students who check out books,” Muzzy said. “They not only check out books from our college, but from another college as InterLibrary Loans. Most of the time, students reserve study rooms.”

Sophomore Tasheona Huddleston uses the library for a variety of things, such as printing and drop-in tutors. She has also used the library for note-taking assistance.

For most students, online resources are the go-to option. However, Huddleston said that library books can also be used for information for essays. She also talked about the library’s other physical resources.

“I think I use the study rooms more than anything else,” Huddleston said. “I feel like the library should be used more, since it does have many resources. Not only is the library a nice outlet, but it does have many kind and resourceful people and technology.”